[NFB_of_Georgia] Information from President Riccobono

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Feb 17 21:47:52 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Thank you for an outstanding virtual Washington Seminar 2021.

Today we are launching a diversity and inclusion survey that is open to all
members. We are currently in the process of building a system so that all
future surveys can also be offered via telephone. Please encourage your
chapters to assist people who might need help completing the survey.
Alternatively, members can call Janice Glenn Kershaw (extension 2413) or
email diversity at nfb.org to get assistance filling out the survey in a more
confidential manner if they prefer. This should give us some important
baseline data for our diversity work as we move forward in 2021. Please
help promote this survey and encourage broad participation.

*News:*

*National Convention—2021 Update and 2022 Announcement: *

Announced during the 2021 Great Gathering-In
<https://youtu.be/fTFJ2fRD2gw?t=1866>, this year’s national convention will
be held virtually from July 6 through July 10, 2021, with the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland as our host affiliate. Stay tuned for
more details, which will be posted at nfb.org/convention
<https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>. Registration for
the 2021 NFB National Convention will be coming soon. Also announced, the
2022 NFB National Convention will be held from July 5-10 in New Orleans,
Louisiana.

*Complete and Share the Diversity and Inclusion Survey:*

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering information on diversity
and inclusion from members and leaders in the organization. Please take
approximately fifteen minutes to complete this important survey. The survey
includes a short optional and confidential questionnaire about you. Your
perspective and experiences are needed to develop diversity and inclusion
initiatives for our movement. If you have questions or need assistance with
the survey please connect with diversity at nfb.org or call 410-659-9314
extension 2413.

2021 Diversity and Inclusion Survey (English)
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversity-Inclusion>

En Español: 2021 Encuesta sobre Diversidad e Inclusión
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversidad-Inclusion>

 *Latest Podcast: Meet Blindness Tech Pioneer Dean Blazie:*

The *Nation's Blind Podcast* highlights different themes related to
blindness, independent living, and news from the National Federation of the
Blind. On this episode, Anil and Chris talk with Dean Blazie, who has been
working with blind people to develop technology we can use since the 1960s.
Learn more about Dean and the Braille’n’Speak in the recent podcast episode
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/2021-02/nations_blind_podcast_dean_blazie_2.mp3>
.

*Open House: Information for Non-Members Interested in Joining:*

Please share with non-members the following: The National Federation of the
Blind invites blind people to learn more about being a member and the
benefits of membership on Wednesday, March 24, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. This
is a great opportunity to hear from active members and leaders on the myths
and uncertainties of the Federation. Sign up for the open-house gathering
call by emailing membership at nfb.org or calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509.

*Washington Seminar Recap:*

Last week’s Washington Seminar is a perfect example of what we can do when
we all work together. We had 393 Congressional meetings—many with the
elected member of Congress. We have twelve more meetings scheduled for this
week and five for next week. Four additional senators have cosponsored the
Access Technology Affordability Act, S. 212: Jeanne Shaheen (NH), Robert
Casey (PA), Shelley Moore Capito (WV), and Lisa Murkowski (AK).

In addition, we expect a number of additional cosponsors on H.R. 431 when
the House updates its cosponsor count.

We have had a number of representatives and senators reach out to us
regarding our three other issues. There is no question your advocacy is
paying off. We should have more to report on our issues in the near future.
On that note, please remember to report the ratings from your meetings in
the Washington Seminar portal. Also, if a particular office never responded
to your meeting request, it is not too late. I urge you to politely ask for
a meeting two or three times.

*Independence Market Special Items for February:*

Our product of the month is the Kenneth Jernigan Cornbread Kit. Dr.
Jernigan loved southern fried corn bread and he devised this kit. The kit
contains a cast iron muffin pan that makes twelve scallop-shaped muffins,
an oil measurer, disposable filling cups, and two cooking templates to
guide you in getting the batter into the muffin pan. Dr. Jernigan's "NFB
cornbread" recipe is included in print and Braille (Item # AIK08C;
$15.00).  Kits are flying off the shelves and quantities are limited. Order
your Kenneth Jernigan Cornbread Kit today.

The following products are currently on sale:

Carbon Fiber Rigid Long White Canes with Metal Glide Tips on sale (ACF##S)
(Available in sizes ranging from 49 through 69 inches)

Solitaire and Fox & Geese (two board games in one) ITEM #AIG75G ($10)

*Celebrating Black Leaders in the National Federation of the Blind:*

In honor of Black History Month, on February 27, at 1:00 p.m., join Ron
Brown and Shawn Calloway as they discuss the characteristics of a good
leader and how they became leaders and sustained leadership roles in the
National Federation of the Blind.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/97730665309

Meeting ID: 977 3066 5309
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,97730665309# US (Washington DC) 16468769923,,97730665309#
+US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 977 3066 5309

*Reminders:*

*Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques and Seminars:*

Accessibility boutiques and seminars are workshops presented by National
Federation of the Blind access technology experts that provide
introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in
access tech. Upcoming trainings include accessible documents on February 17
and virtual meeting platforms on February 23. Learn more and register today
for an accessibility boutique
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>
.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
    deadline
   - April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10, 2021: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere
   - July 5-10, 2022: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>