[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook Week of June 28, 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Jun 29 01:24:27 UTC 2021

Federation Family,

Wow, did you review our 2021 NFB National Convention agenda? As usual, it
is impressive. The only thing to share here is that I continue to be proud
of our movement and our level of activity even during a very uncertain
year. Forward to the convention!

*Convention Reminders:*

*#NFB21 Rookie Roundup on Tuesday:*

Tuesday, June 29, 2021, from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. eastern: All convention
attendees are cordially invited to attend a welcoming Zoom meeting the week
before convention starts. President Riccobono and Board of Directors
Chairperson Pam Allen will be on hand to preview convention activities and
provide a historical perspective of the organization and how it grew into
the leading voice in the blindness field. This is a great opportunity to
learn more about our dynamic organization. Zoom meeting ID 996 0507 0015
<https://zoom.us/j/99605070015>.

*National Convention Registration Still Available:*

The 2021 National Federation of the Blind National Convention registration
is still open. Early registration prior to May 31 was required for member
voting access. Register for door prizes and get access to convention
information as it becomes available at nfb.org/registration
<https://www.nfb.org/registration>.

*Voting during Convention:*

The phone number and related voting instructions will be sent via email to
qualified voters in addition to being posted to the convention information
page. A review of the voting process will be provided during the Rookie
Roundup with the opportunity to participate in the first vote of the 2021
National Convention. The phone number for voting is 667-206-6677.

*Veteran Introductions - Last Call:*

Vernon Humphries, the president of the National Association of Blind
Veterans, is still collecting video introductions for veterans. Please send
the ten-second audio recording of each veteran introducing themself to him
at mr_president at nabv.org.

*PAC Prizes:*

Every year the Pre-Authorized Contribution program holds various contests
during the national convention for which NFB affiliates and individual
members contribute to the prizes. We are again asking NFB affiliates and
national divisions to support our fun PAC contests by contributing cash
donations to the contest prizes. Thus far, we want to thank the following
affiliates for their contributions: Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois,
Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, and
Rhode Island.  Please make checks payable to National Federation of the
Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal
Services - PAC. You should also send an email to PAC at nfb.orgto let us know
you are sending a contribution for the contest prizes and the full name of
the organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we
recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Scott
LaBarre (slabarre at nfb.org or extension 2424) or Bridgid Burke (
bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) if you have any questions. We are looking
forward to another fun-PACked convention.

*Legal Office Hours during Convention:*

Disability rights attorneys will be available to discuss blindness
discrimination concerns regarding employment, technology, education,
voting, and more. Legal office hours will be held on Tuesday, July 6, and
Wednesday, July 7, from 6:00-9:00 p.m., eastern. Schedule your private
twenty-minute appointment by emailing vyingling at nfb.org.

*News:*

*Hot & Cold Tumblers:*

The tumblers are now available in the Independence Market. These
sixteen-ounce tumblers are in black with clear tops and display the NFB
logo in white with the words “Live the Life You Want” on the front. The
tumblers cost $8.00, and orders can be placed by contacting the
Independence Market.

*Safety and Support Initiatives Reminder:*

As indicated in the open letter on April 15
<https://nfb.org/blog/open-letter-safety-and-support-progress>, we will be
making another report of our progress and next steps at the 2021 National
Convention. These reports have been grounded in on-going deep listening and
best practices that result from working with RAINN, input from our
survivor-led task force, recommendations of the Special Committee, and the
input of all of you. Your voice has been and continues to be critical in
this process. Reports from RAINN and the Special Committee will be
available prior to the start of convention at.

*The July Braille Monitor Is Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about national convention, stories from
members, raising expectations, and more. Access the *Braille Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2107/bm2107tc.htm>.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - June 29: Rookie Roundup, 8:30 p.m.
   - July 5-30: NFB EQ Online
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere
   - July 19-30: BELL Session 2
   - August 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - August 9-20: BELL Session 3
   - September 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - October 1: Presidential Release, 12:00 p.m.
   - November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>