[NFB_of_Georgia] Short Story Practice For Writing Contest

Derrean Tucker derreantuci931 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:04:24 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

I want to share this short story that I’ve written. I’m trying to practice
for the writing contest that the Writing Division is hosting.  Let me know
what you all think.

*The Skilled Hunter*

By Derrean Tucker

Quickly, the man raced across the field through the brush. He had been out
hunting gazelle when he noticed a lion stalking him. The same followed
after him through the brush as he ran for his life. “Hey Hey hey!!: the
hunter was terrified. He gripped his spear tightly as he headed for a
descending hill on the terrain. The lion was on his tail with much
desperation to catch him. The man was very fast on his feet. The weather
was very hot and humid and caused sweat to soak his worn clothing entirely.
There hadn’t been any man in this part of the plains,  not in times past
nor in the present Antigua rule, that had footed with a lion without being
captured in seconds and torn from limb to limb. As he topped the hill,
quickly looking back to the lion, he gave the quickest surge of foot power
he could down the hill. Turning around quickly and kneeling, He raised his
spear as the lion jumped off the ground with its massive head. The hunter
attempted to force his 6 foot spear down the throat of the lion as it was
in mid air. Both the man and the lion toppled down the steep slope
together, the lion being on top of the hunter. A cloud of dirt hugged the
area where the lion and man skid the ground together. There were villagers
that watched from afar. They could see down the hill where the man and the
lion disappeared behind the cloud of dirt. They wondered if the lion had
gored its large fangs into the man’s throat as he attempted to poke the
beast with his stick. They saw nothing, but heard the lion making a weird
noise. The dirt cleared and revealed the man lying under the lion’s large
body. The spear was seen poking out the lion’s back, covered in blood. A
few men came from the village and cautiously approached the scene. One of
the men said, “Circle!” gesturing the other two men to round the lion
evenly. One of the three men who was positioned in front said, “ the man’s
eyes are shut, and has a big wound.” He stabbed the lion in the side with a
large dagger then signaled to the other men and villagers that the lion was
dead. The villagers rejoiced. The villagers removed the lion’s body from
the man. A nurse tended to the hunter, lifting his shirt and examining the
wound on his head. The nurse felt a pulse. “He is not dead but injured
badly. We have to get him to a doctor immediately!” said the nurse, “Get me
the van!”