[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 06/07/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Jun 7 23:52:00 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

We are racing toward the 2022 National Convention and our first time being
in person in a big way since 2019. It is hard to believe it has been three
years, but on the other hand, it feels like forever since we were in Vegas.

I am asking leaders of the Federation to help be strong ambassadors for the
below convention-related items:

   1. We want everyone who can to be in person with us at the convention.
   There are still some rooms at our overflow hotel, so it is not too late.
   However, if you cannot be there, we invite you to register for the virtual
   convention experience.
   2. Each affiliate will be represented by a delegate to the convention.
   If you are not in person at the convention, please know that your voice is
   still represented through your delegate. This has been true at every
   convention I have attended. Please let everyone, especially our new
   members, know that even if they are not in person, they are represented.
   3. For the health and safety of all of our Federation family members, we
   are asking those attending the convention to mask in convention meetings
   and common areas. Let’s all do our part to ensure our convention is
   welcoming and safe for all.
   4. All convention attendees will need to test negative for COVID-19
   prior to being admitted to convention activities. We strongly encourage
   people to test prior to coming to New Orleans. You can review the full
   protocols at http://www.nfb.org/convention. Test results can be sent in
   advance via email to testresults at nfb.org, and the email should include
   the full name of the person as they registered. Tests can be taken up to
   seventy-two (72) hours before check in at the hotel but not earlier than
   that. Test results can be submitted when they are available or can be shown
   in person. On-site testing will be available starting on July 4, but there
   are incentives for getting test results early, including not having to wait
   in line for testing. Anyone who has not gotten the convention wristband
   indicating that they have demonstrated proof of a negative COVID test will
   not be able to get their registration materials.
   5. Everyone can be a leader in making the convention a welcoming and
   powerful experience for all involved.
   6. Those participating virtually can play an important role in
   amplifying the message of the organization in social media. Most
   importantly, virtual participants are still engaging in the conversation of
   the future of the movement.

*News:*

*NEW: Ballot-Marking-Device Videos—Learn Their Accessibility Features:*

The National Federation of the Blind is publishing demonstrations of four
ballot-marking devices (BMD) so that election judges/volunteers and voters
can have a better understanding of the devices and their accessibility
features. The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) requires that at least one
accessible voting machine be available in all polling places for federal
elections. The following are direct links to the videos for each BMD. Learn
more about HAVA and voting rights at nfb.org/vote.

   - Ballot Marking Device: ClearAccess from Clear Ballot - Accessibility
   Settings and Demo for Voting
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKevtc_YKsU>
   - Ballot Marking Device: ExpressVote from ES&S - Accessibility Settings
   and Demo for Voting <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC7XYTCD4Q>
   - Ballot Marking Device: ICX Dominion - Accessibility Settings and Demo
   for Voting <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsZ7pqKNnu8>
   - Ballot Marking Device: Verity from Hart InterCivic - Accessibility
   Settings and Demo for Voting <https://youtu.be/L26AdrOueqA>

*June Braille Monitor Available:*

The latest issue of our flagship publication is now available. Read about
the coverage on the Blind Driver Challenge, the winners of the Braille
Readers Are Leaders contest, and stories from members. Access the *Braille
Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2206/bm2206tc.htm>.

*Uber Ride Denials:*

The NFB continues to investigate complaints related to Uber ride denials
for blind individuals who travel with a service animal or white cane.
Relatedly, if you use Uber through a third-party service such as GoGo
Grandparent, or via paratransit, concierge, or medical appointment
dispatchers and do not have your own account with Uber, or if you use Uber
via a friend, spouse, or other individual’s account and do not have your
own account with Uber, the NFB would like to hear from you. Please contact
Valerie Yingling at legal at nfb.org or extension 2440.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - June 21: Convention career fair registration closes
   - July 5-10: 2022 National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>