[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 03/21/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Mon Mar 21 22:07:19 UTC 2022

 Dear Federation Family,

Spring has arrived, and there are so many things happening across the
Federation at all levels. Last Saturday I attended my first in-person
chapter meeting in two years and I have to say it was really good to be
back in the same space with Federation members. We have the Jacobus
tenBroek Disability Law Symposium, Dan Parker's world record attempt
through our Blind Driver Challenge, many affiliate conventions, a growing
number of cosponsors for our legislative priorities, our NFB BELL
Academies, and of course our national convention in New Orleans—just to
name a few things on our horizon. Things are coming into full bloom and
hope is in the air.

Here's hoping that you get a little more sun this week and find
opportunities to build the Federation in new ways at the same time.

Thank you for all you do.

*Critical Actions:*

*Scholarship Program Deadline March 31:*

There are less than two weeks left to apply. The National Federation of the
Blind Scholarship Program helps blind college students reach their
educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its strong
foundation, we are enhancing the awards and making the experience even more
inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each
scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Encourage students to apply for the
2022 scholarship program
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-enhances-largest-scholarship-program-blind-scholars>.
The deadline is March 31.

*Upcoming April Presidential Release:*

The next Presidential Release will take place Monday, April 4, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates
and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event
includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and
put PR515 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Zoom
details coming soon.

*News:*

*We’re With U!** A Benefit Concert to Help Blind Ukrainian Refugees: *Many
in the Federation family have been asking if there is something we can
specifically do to help blind people affected by the horrific invasion
happening in Ukraine. The World Blind Union has established the Ukrainian
Unity Fund
<https://worldblindunion.org/blog/news/wbu-stands-united-with-ukraine-and-is-taking-action-to-help/>.
While the National Federation of the Blind operates in the United States,
we want to use our extensive network of love and support at this important
time. On Saturday, April 16, at 2 p.m., eastern, the global online blind
community is joining for a benefit concert to help blind Ukrainian refugees.
 Learn more about We're With U!
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/we-are-with-u-benefit-concert>

*Join Blind Driver Challenge Twitter Chat this Week:*

During the week of March 28, Federationist Dan Parker, who is a blind
race-car driver and machinist, will attempt to break the Guinness World
Record for fastest blind driver. Join us on Thursday, March 24, at 2:00
p.m., eastern, to chat on Twitter about the Blind Driver Challenge and
autonomous vehicle technology. Access the questions now to prepare for the
chat <https://nfb.org/get-involved/twitter>. #CruisinWithNFB

*National Association of Blind Veterans Grant:*

The NABV Board of Directors has approved a grant for first-time (in-person)
veteran participants to the 2022 NFB National Convention. The grant will be
awarded for eligible veterans in an amount up to $1,000 to attend and
participate in the sessions, division meeting, and banquet. If you know of
a veteran that would be interested, contact Vernon Humphrey at
mr_president at nabv.org*.*

*Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act:*

Last week, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)
gained four new cosponsors: Don Bacon (R-NE-2), Debbie Wasserman Schultz
(D-FL-23), Peter DeFazio (D-OR-4), and Stephen Lynch (D-MA-8). The bill now
has a total of forty-four cosponsors, including two Republican cosponsors,
making it bipartisan. This is great progress, and we need to keep up our
advocacy to ensure the success of this bill, as well as all of our other
legislation.

*Website Accessibility Regulations:*

As you may remember, on February 28, 2022, the National Federation of the
Blind and more than 180 other organizations sent a letter to the US
Department of Justice regarding website accessibility regulations
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-assistant-attorney-general-regarding-website>.
On Friday, the Department of Justice published guidance on website
accessibility <https://beta.ada.gov/web-guidance/>. There is little doubt
that this letter, along with our continued advocacy on this topic, has
caused the administration to take action. This guidance is a good first
step, but we must continue to advocate for the website accessibility
regulations described in our letter.

*Upcoming Event: Accessible Excel and PowerPoint Creation:*

Learn how to create accessible Excel documents and PowerPoint
presentations. Join us on March 29 from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., eastern, to
discuss the powerful tools you can use in either program.

*Upcoming Event: Comparison of Collaboration Tools:*

[Boutique rescheduled from March 16]

As the Covid pandemic continued on, businesses and teams of all types
adapted to collaborating and working together online. To facilitate this, a
number of apps and services have sprung up to enable teams in widely
distributed areas to seamlessly work with each other. Come join the
National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom where
we will compare the accessibility of several of the top collaboration
services.

Take advantage of these free opportunities and register for the
accessibility boutiques
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
 today!

*Opportunity for First-Time National Convention Attendees: *

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship provides funding support to
National Federation of the Blind members who want to attend the national
convention in person for the first time. Applications close April 15. Learn
more about the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scholarship>
.

*Video Programming Accessibility Forum with the FCC:*

The FCC’s Media Bureau and Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau will
co-host this accessibility-related forum focused on issues surrounding
audio description. This is not a National Federation of the
Blind-affiliated event, but it may be of interest. Learn more about this
FCC forum
<https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/events/2022/03/video-programming-accessibility-forum-online-audio-description>
.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - March 29: Accessible Excel and PowerPoint Creation accessibility
   boutique
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-enhances-largest-scholarship-program-blind-scholars>
   - April 6: Comparison of Collaboration Tools accessibility boutique
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
   - April 15: Deadline for Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scholarship>
    application
   - April 15: Deadline for Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
   <https://nfb.org/bolotin>
   - July 5-10: National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>