[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 05/24/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue May 24 23:37:30 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

Greetings from stormy Oklahoma (at least I am not writing on an airplane).
The rough weather reminds us that we have been through a period of
uncertainty and isolation. It also reminds us that the times ahead will be
brighter and provide us with new opportunities. As we come together to bury
our friend Jeannie Massay, who has served as our national treasurer since
2015, we give thanks for the sharing that is the foundation of the
Federation family.

*Critical Actions:*

*Call for Door Prizes! (Note: Important Change to Submission Process):*

This is a request for door prizes for this year’s convention in New
Orleans. Each year the National Federation of the Blind is gifted various
prizes that are then awarded through a drawing to lucky convention
registrants. Please note the two submission processes:

·       All cash and gift card prizes are to be taken to New Orleans and
given to Bennett Prows in person at the general session stage.

·       Products, baskets, or other items, like Louisiana spices, should be
sent to Tammy Green at the NFB of Louisiana, 4401 Kennon Avenue, New
Orleans, LA 70122.

Contact Bennett Prows at prize at nfb.org with any questions. We appreciate
the generous door-prize support from NFB affiliates, divisions, chapters,
and all our members.

*National Convention Registration Deadline Fast Approaching:*

The national convention is just around the corner! Register to attend
#NFB22 in person and purchase your banquet tickets at
https://nfb.org/registration before May 31. Prices go up if you wait until
you arrive in New Orleans. Make your hotel reservations as soon as
possible. Space at the main hotel, the New Orleans Marriott, has filled up.
For the same convention rate, book your hotel room at the Sheraton New
Orleans, which is right across the street from the main hotel. Call
888-627-7033 and ask to book a room for the “NFB Convention.” Please note
that this is a different number than originally published in the *Braille
Monitor*. The convention rate and our room block disappear after May 31.

*News:*

*Upcoming June Presidential Release:*

The next Presidential Release will take place Wednesday, June 1, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates
and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event
includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org,
and put PR517 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473.
Zoom Meeting ID: 991 5756 4721 or https://zoom.us/j/99157564721.

*Help Track the PAC Survey by June 3:*

Whether you donate to the National Federation of the Blind through the
Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Program or not, your feedback is needed
to help improve the program for the organized blind movement. Please
complete the five-minute survey and share it with members and supporters. Take
the PAC survey now online <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nfb-pac> or by
phone. To complete the survey by phone, call 229-632-7878 or toll-free
833-632-7878.

 *Upcoming Accessibility Boutique on Busting Myths Surrounding Hiring the
Blind:*

On Tuesday, May 31, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access will seek
to dispel myths around blind people in the workplace with a panel
discussion of industry leaders and experts on blindness in the state of
Maryland. Register for the accessibility boutique
<https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg>.

*Braille Monitor** Note:*

Please be aware that there have been a few delays in the print and Braille
versions of recent *Braille Monitor* issues and may still be for the June
and July issues. We are working to resolve this concern moving forward and
appreciate your understanding.

 *Celebrating #GAAD:*

In a special episode for Global Accessibility Awareness Day (#GAAD), Anil
Lewis and his special guest co-host take a deep dive into the work of the
National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
(CENA). Check out the latest episode of the Nation’s Blind Podcast
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast>.

 *Labcorp Kiosks:*

The National Federation of the Blind is investigating access barriers with
Labcorp patient check-in kiosks. If you have visited a Labcorp location
within the last year and were directed to use an inaccessible kiosk for
check-in, and if there was no Labcorp employee available to immediately
assist you with check-in, or if you otherwise had to rely on another
customer to assist you, please contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org
 to share your experience.

 *Recent Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog by Karl Belanger:*

Read the latest blog post, Physical Keys for Your Digital Life: A Review of
the Yubico and Google Security Keys
<https://nfb.org/blog/physical-keys-your-digital-life-review-yubico-and-google-security-keys>
 by Karl Belanger. #GAAD

 *Calling All Previous STEM Program Participants and Mentors!:*

We will be holding a STEM program reunion at our 2022 National Convention
in New Orleans, Louisiana. Students and mentors who have previously
participated in any of our National Federation of the Blind STEM programs
are receiving an email inviting them to join us on Saturday, July 9, from
6:30-8:00 p.m., central, for a fun evening catching up with old friends and
reliving STEM memories. We encourage you to reach out to members in your
affiliate who have previously participated in NFB STEM programs as students
or mentors to encourage them to attend this reunion. Individuals must
register to attend this event, and can do so by going to
https://nfb.org/form/nfb-stem-programs-reunion-registration

 *The Use of Algorithms and Artificial Intelligence to Assess Job
Applicants and Employees:*

We applaud EEOC and the Department of Justice for issuing resources
regarding algorithms, artificial intelligence, and disability
discrimination in hiring and employment, and we encourage blind job seekers
and employers to review this important information:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-and-eeoc-warn-against-disability-discrimination
.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - May 31: Convention registration
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=479> closes
   - June 1: Presidential Release
   - June 3: PAC survey <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nfb-pac> closes
   - June 6: Resolutions are due to the committee chair
   - June 21: Convention career fair registration closes
   - July 5-10: 2022 National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org