[NFBA-Phoenix] Picnic and BEAM Reminder-Read Me Action Needed

rachelrkuntz at gmail.com rachelrkuntz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 01:44:18 UTC 2022

Four DAYS AWAY AND COUNTING DOWN!!!

The Phoenix Chapter is looking forward to welcoming our Federation Family
and friends to the BEAM Picnic and Walk for Independence!

Date:  Saturday, October 1, 2022

Time:  11:00 AM to 3:00 PM

Location:  Margaret T. Hance Park, 67 W. Culver St., Phoenix, AZ 85003, West
Ramada

Note: Enter the park from 3rd Ave and Culver St. The West Ramada is next to
the swing set and is a few feet from the parking lot.

The planning team appreciates the generous response of members throughout
The Valley, volunteering to take an active role by grilling or serving,
bringing a favorite side dish, furnishing other picnic supplies, sharing
games, and/or donating Door Prizes.  This is an NFB family-friendly event,
and we want to ensure that everyone has fun and is safe.  Therefore, we are
reminding everyone of the following:

Food Allergies:  If you are bringing a side dish, please provide the type of
dish and a list of the ingredients to Vicki, by Thursday, September 29, at

vjazz at cox.net <mailto:vjazz at cox.net>

This information will be provided in advance and at the picnic to alert
those with food allergies, so they can make safe choices.

Side Dish Serving Container:  We encourage those bringing a side dish to use
disposable containers, if possible.  If a personal bowl, dish, or storage
container is used, please mark it with your name, so it returns home with
you.

Folding Chairs or Blankets:  You may want to bring a folding chair, portable
deck chair, or blanket for more comfortable seating after eating lunch.
Please mark it with your name, so it returns home with you.

Family-Friendly Event:  In order to preserve the spirit of this
family-friendly gathering, the use of alcohol and/or controlled substances
is prohibited, and anyone in violation will be required to leave,
immediately.  Thank you for your cooperation!

Sun Screen Lotion:  It has been three years since we have gathered in an
outdoor venue, and it is easy to forget to be protected against UV rays,
whether skies are sunny or overcast.  Wearing a hat with a brim and the
generous application of sun screen lotion of at least SPF 30 can help make
your picnic experience more enjoyable.  This is especially important for
children and those with a fair complexion.

NFB Swag:  If you like winning, then you will want to search through your
dresser drawers and closets for T-shirts, hats, and other NFB-branded gear
to wear at the Blind Equality and Achievement Month (BEAM)  picnic.
Everyone wearing NFB swag will have their name entered into a Drawing, that
will be awarded during the picnic.  This is a great way for the public to
recognize members of the National Federation of the Blind, "Living the lives
we want, because we know that blindness is not what holds us back!"

Join us on Saturday, and be a vital part of the Fun and the Movement!

Warmly,

Rachel