[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] NFBA Schedule Of Seasonal Activities For 2017

Megan Homrighausen megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 19:38:35 UTC 2017

Dear East Valley,
This is a schedule of seasonal activities that the Arizona affiliate follows. This may look familiar to some of you, but for our new members I thought this especially important to send out to our list. The East Valley Chapter will plan activities in accordance with our state affiliate to further build the federation and move our causes forward.

Please keep this schedule handy this year.

Schedule of SeasonalActivitiesJanuary: ·       Advertise for Phoenix Seminaro  This is Arizona’s Version of Washington Seminarwhere we converge on the state capital to advocate for state legislation.  NFBA does advocacy training with partneringtraining centers, like SAAVI, to teach the importance of advocacy.  The NFBA discusses the philosophy of the NFBand how the annual initiatives fit into that philosophy.February:  ·       Phoenix Seminaro  This seminar is organized into 30 districts andArizona typically has approximately 125 blind Arizona federationist and thoselearning about blindness advocacy who represent the districts from all overArizona.March:·       Recruit newly trained NFB members to attendchapter meetings all over the state where we recap the successes from thePhoenix Seminar, and strategize for next steps. Chapters are encouraged to include mentoring activities for that meetinglike technology, letter writing, ETC.April:·       Chapter Picnicso  Typically, April is a great time for chapters tohost their annual picnics.  This isusually a highly attended event.  Citieswhere more than one chapter is present often combine events.May:  ·       Board Philosophy sessiono  This day-long session is an open to all andtransportation is arranged to bring members from all over the state to engagein a philosophy day. Of course, we also provide lunch for our participants.  Alternatively, the board may hold two sessionsin various parts of the state. June:·       Focus on Parentso  Arizona NFB BELL Academy occurs the first twoweeks of June, making it the perfect time to hold an ice-cream social, or otherfamily friendly activity at the local chapter meeting.    July: ·       National Conventiono   ArizonaVocational Rehabilitation partners with SAAVI and the Colorado Center for theBlind in sending first time convention goers who are enrolled in training.  Arizona typically brings upwards of 50 firsttimers.  The Arizona Association of BlindStudents holds a pizza party at convention after the Arizona Caucus.August: ·       Wrap-up partyo  Held by local chapters to bring all those whoattended convention together with all chapter members to celebrate what welearned at convention.  Every attempt ismade to provide transportation and other encouragement to those first timerswho attended convention.  Activities mayinclude pool parties, ice-cream socials, ETC.September:·       Arizona State Convention:  o  Our convention is required for all VR employeesas well as all SAAVI students and staff. Thursday night is dedicated to making federation philosophy availableand accessible to all. Membership Recruitment and Engagement is responsible fordeveloping a team that focuses on recruiting and energizing new members.October: ·       Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Day: o  Chapters are encouraged to engage new membersfrom both conventions to participate in community activities, culminating atthe State Capital for White Cane day.  WhiteCane Day is where Arizona reinforces the advocacy from the Phoenix Seminar andintroduces advocacy initiatives from September convention resolutions.November-December:  ·       Training seminaro  Chapter Road show and/or geographic trainingevents focusing on hands-on mentoring in the areas of leadership skillstraining for all members.   December: ·       Christmas Parties:  o  Each chapter holds it’s Christmas party where everyeffort is made to invite all new and prospective members from the year.  All bell ringers and their familiesparticipate as well.

Sincerely,

Megan Homrighausen
East Valley Chapter President
National Federation Of The Blind Of Arizona
480-510-6196

National Federation Of The Blind Principles

1. Itis respectable to be blind. It’s okay to be blind. Being blind issomething that we need not feel troubled or embarrassed about, concerned aboutor emotionally exhausted over. It’s okay to be blind.
2. The real problem of blindness is not the absence of vision but isthe social misconceptions and stereotypes that exist about blindness. It is not the physical absence of eye sight but it is what society has come tobelieve about our blindness. We reject the misconceptions that society has andwe accept that the physical absence of our sight is not the big problem.
3. With proper training and opportunity the average blind person cando the average job in the average place of work.
4. Blindnessis simply one of many human characteristics, like being tall or being short,being big or small, being bright or average. Blindness is simply one of many
characteristics.
5. Blindnesscan be reduced to the level of an inconvenience or physical nuisance.
6. Webelieve in the effectiveness of alternative non visual techniques.
7. Ifwe want equal rights we need to accept equal responsibility.