[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] Diabetes Action Network 2024 Spring seminar announcement

Mark Feliz mafeliz0641 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 23:34:26 UTC 2024

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. Our Knowledge is Sweet seminar that
is sponsored by our Diabetes Action Network will be held on Friday,
April 26, and Saturday, April 27, 2024. We'll be meeting at the Hilton
St. Louis Airport located at 10330 Natural Bridge Rd, St. Louis, MO
63134. The cost of a room is $111 a night, and when you book, the room
block is under the name National Federation of the Blind. To reach the
hotel call 314-426-5500. We tried it, it works, and registering only
begins the fun.

The board is working on the agenda, and we are trying to get doctors,
dietitians, drug manufacturers, and the people who make devices we use
in administering those drugs and in checking our blood sugar. We
already have one of our keynote speakers, Gary Taubes. For those of
you who may not know him, he is a journalist who looked into the
science of obesity and the diseases it makes us susceptible to
getting. Conclusions he draws from often overlooked scientists are:

Obesity is not an issue of those who have willpower and those who don't
The assertion that weight maintenance, weight loss, and weight gain is
not nearly as simple as calories in vs calories out
The idea that eating fat will make you fat seems to have a ring of
truth about it, but the supposition is not supported by studies and
the way we digest and use food for energy
A calorie is a calorie is much too simplistic when it comes to food
The prescription to eat low-fat high-carbohydrate foods provably does
not work for most people
We eat much too much sugar, and this excess is responsible for many of
the problems we have—problems which were once called the King's
Diseases because only people of wealth could afford sugar in
significant amounts
Science tries to be driven by facts, but even it falls prey to
inertia. Popular opinions get published; unpopular ones must look to
places other than scientific journals for real airing and discussion

The purpose of our seminar is to promote thought and discussion; it is
not to endorse or debunk any point of view, because we do not consider
ourselves experts on nutrition, exercise, or even diabetes. Our goal
is to share, to learn, and to give people tools that they are free to
use or not. Our mission is to send one message clearly and concisely:
In your blindness and diabetes, you are not alone. We will share our
stories with the hope that they will add to the independence and
freedom all of us want.

Please register with the hotel as soon as you can. We will soon have a
form for you to register for the seminar. The cost will be $99, and
this fee will entitle you to four plated meals and all presentations.

For more information, write Debbie Wunder, debbiewunder at charter.net.
You may also call or text me at 573-268-6989. I am excited, and I hope
you are as well. I don't enjoy the disease we share, but I love the
work we can do to help blind people learn to live and thrive with it.

In hopes of hearing from you soon,

Debbie Wunder, President

Diabetes Action Network

National Federation of the Blind