[Nfbc-info] Fwd: Re: State Affiliate Treasurer Duties

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 17 11:00:56 UTC 2008

        Hi Bruce. Great pointsthis can truly be said of Mary.   we have a
great collection of leaders who were elected to run this affiliate in
October.
Sometimes with leadership misunderstandings arise and this one looks like
one that can be overcome with patience from all sides if we just decide to
come together as soon as possible and make the transition happen.  How it
should have or could have happened is water under the bridge so we have to
keep focused.
I don't know why Mary and Jonathan couldn't get together, Mary's letter says
Jonathan missed two appointments, maybe for good reason maybe not.
Jonathan says he wants information to compile his report that's also
reasonable.
He can't log in because he's not on the account that's reasonable the fact
that its' someone elses information provided we're talking a user name and a
password it probably should be changed removed anyway and according to my
bank passwords should be changed every 60 90 days, makes even more sense
with the amount of money we're talking.
I doubt a trip to the bank can or will happen prior to the board meeting but
perhaps Robert or Mary could get a bank statement and either email or one
day express it to Jonathan or he could pick it up.
That's a suggestion.
The second suggestion is a new year's resolution that all sides work
together to see the transition is finished by January 10.
I see Mary's frustration,In that she appears to have tried to meet with
Jonathan and he didn't show. Yet letters are beeing sent protraying her as
"the bad guy because the transition hasn't happened.

 and I see Jonathan's eager frustration. He couldn't get to the bank on two
occasions, needs to present a treasurers report feels duty bound it's his
job!
 Mary has years of experience with the affiliate Jonathan though
 much newer is eager to do his job.
We don't have to have the idea of a constitutional crisis and the national
shouldn't have to step in and mediate. Tis the season and cooler heads can
prevail if every one just steps back takes a deep breath and
agrees to finish this by January 10.
Let's not make anyone the "bad guy" at this point.
Let's just agree to fix the problem and go on, that's my advice to the
board.
It's what I would do if I were the President and it's what I'd do if I were
the treasurer even if for the moment it seemed hard.Unfortunately, it's not
uncommon for transitions to take a few months some are faster and handled
better than others but two months isn't an extremely long time, especially
when it comes to the office of treasurer even on the chapter level. I know
some of the divisions are still transferring paperwork just like the state
is.
And, I know as a former Student Division and Chapter President I had a
transition or two that took longer than I wanted.

 four months I'd begin to worry maybe.
But Next time rain or shine Let's get that transfer made.
If one party can't get to the bank perhaps they can sign the necessary
paperwork in advance, banks require both signatures but they might allow
someone to get a signature notarized if work or other medigating
circumstances just won't allow there pressence at the bank meeting.
On the otherhand, as an elected state official that's also a duty to get
there when necessary.
Let's see what the board does this month.
I think the cooler heads will prevail.
Prayers and best wishes for a joyous Holiday season and a happy new year to
all!

God Bless:
Mike Peterson