[Nfbc-info] next generation brailler

Eileen Misrahi eileenmis at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 21 22:57:54 UTC 2009

Hi Chad,

You are correct. I demonstrated the product at CSUN this past March. The new
generation Brailler only takes 8 X 11 1/2" paper. Therefore, if one wants to
use larger paper, they will need to purchase the Perkins classic. The margin
stops are in the front where the carriage is located on the Perkins classic
and there are tactile markings. The carriage is located on top where the
embossed Braille is produced. I did not like this configuration, as I think
there might be issues with it and some unnecessary repairs. It's nice to
have the eraser, but I use a pencil Braille eraser, which does the trick
quite nicely for me. The handle is built-in as part of the design, so when
one picks it up the flat bottom of the Brailler is next to one's side. The
other feature I did like of the new Brailler is that it took less pressure
to use the Braille keys. This might be important for those that do not have
much strength in their fingers. These are my thoughts of the new generation
Perkins Brailler.

Eileen