[Nfbc-info] bose speekers

Ken Volonte kenvolonte at comcast.net
Mon Dec 14 15:06:57 UTC 2009

Hi all.  You will recall that I asked about Bose speakers a few weeks back.
Well they are installed and I have had a couple days to play various types
of music from various sources.  Bottom line, I could just cry.  The speakers
are going back to Bose just as soon as I can uncouple the wires from between
the bottom of the speakers and the pedestals.  The reason is simple.  I knew
this when I first heard a Bose wave radio, but I thought things would be
better with the speakers that everybody has coveted since reading about them
in Popular Science back in the late 60s.  It is a difference in philosophy.
For me, Hi fidelity means the accurate reproduction of the full frequency
range received from any source.  I want violins to shimmer with all the
overtones produced by the instrument, the boe, even the concert hall.  Bose
speakers do a wonderful job at simulating the ambience of a concert hall,
but for frequency response, they are little better than listening to an old
crausly radio.

    In fairness to Bose, they do offer an equalizer, but that makes my
point.  The equalizer is necessary to mask the flaws of a speaker system
that doesn't deserve its reputation. I would never recommend this product or
any Bose product.  It's a poor imitation of what fine crisp sound should be.

    When I heard a set of  acoustic suspension speakers for the first time,
I was blown away.  This was fuller sound than I had ever heard.  I saved up
until I could buy my first and only set of speakers; a pair of Dynaco a25s.
But my wife insisted that with all the new home theaters, I really needed a
nifty looking set of satellite speakers with a sub woofer.  With all due
respect, no I don't. Perhaps what I want to hear is different from what
other people want to hear.  Perhaps I'm trying to cling to my youth, but the
Bose 901 speakers are going back now.