[Nfbc-info] Hating the NFB

Jennifer Boylan jaboylan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 9 20:27:35 UTC 2009

Chuck,
Good point about not giving this video any more attention.  So let this be the final message with that subject line!  I doubt many people surfing around on YouTube would even find this piece (unless they were searching for "enlightening" content such as "F**k You" videos)...we only became aware when the links were sent to us.  Did you all notice that she was talking about the National Federation FOR the Blind, not Of the blind?  This may be the key difference!
True, it is a little intimidating to have the mirror of competent, successful living reflected back at you and that is probably where most of the anger comes in.  We can not grow and succeed without setting the bar high and setting personal goals and objectives for ourselves, overcoming the fear of failure and giving up our semi-secure but unsatisfying status quos.  There's no vaccine for immaturity, so let's all just keep living by example, one member at a time, one day at a time and try not to turn off the masses by talking the talk without walking the walk.  I know I was won over to the federation by just such shining examples!  Though I am a "partial," I have found the skills of blindness freeing and much more effective than struggling through the sighted world, pretending to fit in.  I still have a ways to go, but know I am on the right path with true guides and friends in the NFB to light the way and keep me inspired.