[Nfbc-info] Long Term Health Insurance

Bryan Bashin bashin at calweb.com
Sun Jan 25 01:19:49 UTC 2009

Randy,

You're now talking about straight health insurance, not long-term
care.  It is possible that, as the two Mikes have written, some
underlying health condition has resulted in your highh-risk status
and high-cost policy.  This is terrible, to be sure, but I'm not sure
this was specifically about blindness.  Insurers under California law
do have the right to set various rates for individual policy-holders
based on previous health history.  I would be most interested in the
specific language in their letter to you about your blindness.  The
letter, incidentally, was not a denial letter if they offered you
coverage at a sky-high price.

Your options are several.  You could ask your employer to cover you,
with a large employee contribution.  This would lower the employer
cost while still allowing you to take advantage of the much-better
group rates rather than a rate based on your own medical
history.  You might also tell your employer that other blindness
agencies in your area offer good health insurance coverage for their
employees and that it is a good matter of equity that they do the
same.  Finally, there is a bit of California legislation which allows
people making middle-class wages to buy into Medi-cal coverage.  I
believe individuals with disabilities can take advantage of this
program while earning up to roughly $40,000.  Granted Medi-Cal is not
the world's most wonderful policy, but it will cover basic medical
needs and all catastrophic needs, and it's more than non-disabled
Californians are eligible to recieve until they are completely impoverished.

Of course you can always move to an employer who is more generous
with health coverage -- I think the Society for the Blind may be
hiring in Sacramento.

Best,

Bryan