[Nfbc-info] [nabs-l] Follow NFB on Twitter

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 31 03:25:53 UTC 2009

    Hi Peter.  We might need some kind of legal action to fix these issues
and believe me I had to get Terra to register me for twitter I believe, but
if we plan to interact with the sighted public in general we have to do it
where they go social network wise anyway.
That means MySpace, FaceBook and Twitter.
We can set up our own private blind network but why?
It would be accessible but wouldn't inform the public,
It would be informative but we wouldn't dialogue with our fellow students
and or workers,
It would be accessible but not a good tool for fundraising.
I could go on.
If we are going to raise the potential money we are trying to raise, like a
million dollars for braille literacy,  especially in bad ecconomic times
like these we need to be on normal social networks.

More and more we're given lousy capchea but I have come across some clear
capchea as well.
I'm also coming across more and more sites that have the code in a picture
with no audio capchea.
Perhaps we should draw up a list of these problem sites and present them to
the law offices that handled the target suit.
We also need to push for legislation exempting settlements from SSI
scrutiny.  I suspect for example if SSI wasn't controling the lives of so
many in CA the numbers of blind people applying for the settlement would be
greatly increased.
Think of thiss Blind CA SSI recipients, when you decide not to apply,I
believe  Tina recently sent us the interview the State treasurer did about
the California Government and it's financial woes.
 in March/April your State portion of SSI could be affected any way.  The
settlement from target should you be eligible might be a good cushion
against government ineptness in sacramento and elsewhere for that matter. It
won't keep you for long but you can always go back to SSI and maybe by than
some of the problems will be fixed.

Another weird thing the government does is penalizes you if you get a
medical stippen.
Great going Government, I mean if your studying specific aspects of
blindness for example you might want people with those aspects to
participate in your study.  It's a lot of work so they will most likely not
do it for the love of science.
On the otherhand, if they do it for the love of or at least a small desire
of financial gain they are penalized by SSI so the solution just don't
participate.
Hmmm, 70% of the blind are unemployed meaning a large number are SSI
dependent, Those who are employed for the most part are to busy to take time
off to participate in a long medical study.  Translation! not enough study
participants  for critical studies meaning perhaps the prevention of medical
relief and or cures to certain conditions.
Thus the government is setting up barriers via "charity" to progress in
medical science.
The cost of thees barriers are incalculatible because we don't know what
cures or relief would have been found had the barriers not been there.
In fact I would go as far as to say Medical stippens should be tax exempt.
Yes, some Guinee pig type people participate in multiple studies but at what
risk? and doesn't the public benefit?
But the idea that they might make a little better income than charity
deserves, Let's take away there benefits ASAP!

Seems wrong to me but than again people in Washington don't see it that way.
Mike