[Nfbc-info] Resources for blind students in El Salvador?

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 03:01:30 UTC 2009

Hi Aziza,

There are quite a few potential resources. I compiled many of these into an
article earlier this year entitled "Enriching Your Blind Child's Life via
Foreign Language Braille:

Practical Suggestions for Families and Educators Seeking Out Foreign
Language Braille and Other Foreign Language Resources with a Special Focus
on Spanish."

The direct link is
http://knol.google.com/k/eric-vasiliauskas-md-drv/enriching-your-blind-childs-life-via/2fo8us37li3cv/1#.

It is admittedly long, but you will find it informationally dense & includes
very concrete resources, many with links.

While most applicable to families raising kids in the US (as some resources
like Web-braille & Bookshare may not be accessible to those outside the US),
I would encourage you to make some personal inquiries on behalf of the child
to some of the listed organizations or braille publishers to obtain some of
the materials. If you organize a mini fundraiser or could identify a group
or individual who would be willing to purchase some braille materials, you
could order some fun, age-appropriate Spanish language books for her from
Seedlings or Bookshare (you can order embossed copies of children's
e-books). Maybe someone would be willing to donate a Brailler, or you could
bid for one on eBay. You can print out the info from the websites that
discuss Spanish braille & get a Spanish braille card for the family. If by
chance the family has internet access, encourage them to join the blindkid
list-serve.

Hope this helps.

I wish you the best of luck with this admirable undertaking - I'm sure it
will be very rewarding.

Sincerely,

DrV