[Nfbc-info] Letter to the Bee: Help get the word out on attacks on the blind/visually impaired

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Thu Sep 3 00:09:45 UTC 2009

Eric Calhoun

5341 Brynhurst Ave.,

Los Angeles, CA 90043

323-295-5750

To The Editor:

My friends from the National Federation of the Blind of California's
Board of Directors, the Sacramento Chapters of the NFB of California, and
everone else were very appalled to learn that Diane Starin was attacked by
Joseph Webb, (Our Region, Saturday.)  I would like to offer a few tips for
all blind/visually-impaired residents:

1.  Try and do all your activities before 7 P.M.

2.  Whenever possible, carry around an alarm, a cellular phone, and a
whistle.  (Life-Alert will do.)

3.  If an attack is unprovoked, yell, and attract attention, and notify
authorities immediately!

Finally, do not go in places where you may be vulnerable.  This includes
bus stops in gang-related areas.  If you must be there, look for sighted
assistance from prompt personnel.  Do not attempt to ignore orders, if an
attack happens.

Eric Calhoun, (Blind), Los Angeles

Don't get caught offsides!   Get into the game!  The way it was meant to
be played!  The game of life: over the limit, under scrutiny!

Eric from Los Angeles