[Nfbc-info] Letter to the Bee: Help get the word out on attacks onthe blind/visually impaired

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 3 05:40:28 UTC 2009

    Hi Eric. a couple problems with this letter
So please before I become very ill I have to say something.  Take it in the
spirit it's meant I do live on or near Schmuckley drive and after reading
your post I am feeling rather schmuckley in fact.
"Gag you! I hope you really didn't send that to the editor of the Sacramento
Bee or any other newspaper for that matter.

First Dianne wasn't out after 7:00P.M. it was rush hour.5:00 p.m. in fact
and reading your suggestions one you probably forgot is all blind people
should were helmets in case some thug hits them from behind with a log.

Let's look more closely at these quote warnings you submitted to the,
 Scared look on my face,
> To The Editor:

You say:
> My friends from the National Federation of the Blind of California's
> Board of Directors, the Sacramento Chapters of the NFB of California, and
> everyone else were very appalled to learn that Diane Starin was attacked
> by
> Joseph Webb, in  (Our Region, Saturday.)
Maybe you mean we found out about the attack Saturday, It actually happened
Friday evening and some of us knew then.
But your correct we were appalled and upset most definitely.But than as it's
suggested by Robert Frostwe reached a fork and the roads parted.
 you took the commonly held stereotype position and we took the road less
traveled.

Regarding the following please see my notations.
You write:
 I would like to offer a few tips for
> all blind/visually-impaired residents:
>
> 1.  Try and do all your activities before 7 P.M.
end quotation.
Oh my! I think in part that's why I left Rosamond!  No truthfully even there
Terra and I were dashing about in the wee hours of 11:00 p.m grocery
shopping.
Now seriously Blind people need to stop all there outside efforts by 7:00
p.m?  Meaning blind people can't work nights or long distances away from
their dwellings.  Not true.  Dianne was harmed and as hidious as this crime
was she was one in how many blind people who travel about daily.
Other crimes have happened to people who ar blind most of which that I heard
about were during the day.
What about our conventions should we hire security to accompany our guests?
If we need to be taken care of than we probably should stay at home what
employer has the money or the manpower to provide such onsite security.
Honestly do you really think Dianne would agree with this valuable tip that
spits in the face of everything the NFB has been fighting for Equality and
opportunity are equal parts of the equassion with that third component
security.
> Your second tip!
> 2.  Whenever possible, carry around an alarm, a cellular phone, and a
> whistle.  (Life-Alert will do.

End quote.
 It might even be good for men to carry these items but most probably won't.
It's just a problem when you imply this is a special precaution blind folks
should take.
I guess this could be a good cautionary note for any atractive woman don't
just single out blind ones.Oops you weren't talking about women specifically
were you just vulnerable blind people.
I must've had a sexist moment or something.
So how can we protect them?
  I have a better idea Perhaps guide pit bulls or "Lost in space type
robotic dogs with lazers.  "Warning Warning! just kidding.
Your final  piece of advice
> 3.  If an attack is unprovoked, yell, and attract attention, and notify
> authorities immediately!
end quote
Don't do it next Saturday because it's nudist walk america day, especially
if you are well not wearing clothes.
But back to your suggestion:
Hmmm kind of good advice in general especially for a woman being attacked or
being raped or a child being abused, it might work if a man screamed but
notice this is a general rule not a blind rule. Sometimes it might be better
to fight off the asailant each person must judge for his /herself.If you
Put this in a paper you  reinforce the idea blind people are vulnerable and
you actually contribute to the problem.  I mean why go after that little ole
lady who can see what I look like when this vulnerable blind  person is just
going to scream and blow a whistle.  If I catch him/her alone and am fast I
could yell right along with them and blow a whistle too while the purse is
tucked away in my vehicle.
The blind person would even see me as a hero!

That is is he/she isn't someone like Tina or Leesa Maria who knows judo and
than I might still need my whistle when they got through with me.I'd be
scratching my head asking the paramedics
How do us sighted thugs protect ourselves from irrate blind women who know
those moves, how's a guy to make a living?
You conclude with this gem!
> Finally, do not go in places where you may be vulnerable.  This includes
> bus stops in gang-related areas.  If you must be there, look for sighted
> assistance from prompt personnel.  Do not attempt to ignore orders, if an
> attack happens.
I feel like I'm watching Jerico, 1984 with big brother  or something what is
"prompt personnel anyway?

Oh my! Now ignore orders who's orders? Hay bro!  Freeze! Okay yes sir. Need
a new leather wallet? My wife just bought it for my birthday.
Oh and how about this nice sack dinner oops I mean sack lunch it's not after
seven is it?
Confused about this gang related stuff I mean my braille navigator didn't
tell me this is a gang related area it must be though I hear really loud
music!  Where am I anyway in the lounge at the Hilton?
Save me Parris save me!
Wait here comes a nice gentleman
"Excuse me sir could you direct me to a protected bus stopI'm blind Donnie
dark is my name.
Oh no your blind too?
Let's hold hands and scream maybe Paris will save us.
Better not my wife could get wrong ideas and punch us both Maybe even all
three of us you, me and Parris.
Blowing all these whistles they will think it's a traffic cop convention.
Here comes Frosty the snowman.
So far as not going to an area where we are vulnerable that really limits
our ability to live can't afford Beverley hills 90210 or Bellaire on this
government income and I can't get a job or even training because if the
training facilities are like many I have gone
 to such as California Industries for the blind in Los Angeles
Which was located a few blocks away from fifth  and broadway AKA skid row,
I'd be a sitting duck.
In fact on this limited income I am possibley living in government
subsidized or section 8 housing or in an ecconomically "depressed area.
Real safe staying indoors when a guy on drugs turns on the gas to kill
himself but than decides to have one last cigarette.
Blows a hole through the wall and I get hit in the head with an unidentified
flying talking book and that's if I'm lucky.
What do these poor blind folks do about home invasions which happen in the
day time.  Lock your doors and hang on tight Oh Mr. Rogers not such a
beautiful day in this neighborhood.
Well enough of this guess I'll mosy on down to seven eleven with the wife
and buy a cinamon role and a hotdog but we will bring our whistles and our
canes and she has a cell phone if she didn't run down the battery gabbing
with her blind friends!  We don't have a life alert though.
OOPs well, not all of her friends are blind either but still they run down
the battery gabbin!
woof woof woof woof who let the dog out--I'm in the doghouse now.
But we're on our way to seven eleven just the same maybe I can apease her
with a slurpee or something.
We have some nerve!  Maybe that's why Billy Joel sang "Only the good die
young"
Don't think Paris lives in Sacramento, how about Christy Brinkly?
"Not more of that save me stuff says Terra. Let's get out of here chocolate
eclairs are calling my name.
Mike