[Nfbc-info] Letter to the Bee: Help get the word out on attacks onthe blind/visually impaired

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Thu Sep 3 16:49:05 UTC 2009

Dear Eric,
	The vicious attack on Dianne Starin, who is a close friend of mine
as well as a true federationists, has brought home the very real danger
which faces all of us who travel independently on the streets of our inner
cities. It is natural at a time like this that our minds be turned to the
question, how do we ensure that something like this doesn't happen to
another of our brothers and sisters, or to ourselves. I can understand the
feelings which lead you to write to the Sacramento Bee advising your fellow
blind and visually impaired people on how to protect themselves from violent
crime. I'm deeply concerned however, that your letter advises an excess of
caution which is impossible to achieve while reinforcing the negative
stereotypes about blind people which the NFB has been fighting for decades.
	To summarize a couple of your points, you would have us avoid
traveling out of doors after 7 PM, and avoid "areas where we might be
vulnerable" all together. In short, this is impossible. Many of us work or
take classes later in the day which necessitates traveling home after 7 PM.
Would you have us eliminate these important things from our lives in the
name of caution? Also, few of us can afford to live in gated communities and
hire transportation all the time, and these days "areas where we might be
vulnerable" are virtually impossible to avoid.
More important than the logistical concerns I have about your advice, it
sends a message of fear and vulnerability which scares me more than he
undeniable dangers which are present on the mean streets of the cities. It
reinforces the idea that blind people are helpless and in need of protection
by sighted society. Of particular concern to me is the following point from
your letter:

"Finally, do not go in places where you may be vulnerable.  This includes
bus stops in gang-related areas.  If you must be there, look for sighted
assistance from prompt personnel.  Do not attempt to ignore orders, if an
attack happens."
Federationists, Dianne Starin prominently among them, have worked tirelessly
to build within the blindness community the confidence that we can travel
independently from place to place, and the security within ourselves that we
can protect ourselves from potential danger so that we are no less
vulnerable than our sighted counterparts. Federationists have also worked to
educate society so that they do not see us as victims or potential victims,
but as people equally capable of competing and succeeding in the world in
which we live today. I fear your letter counteracts both these efforts. It
strikes fear into the hearts of blind people, and labels us as "victims" in
the minds of sighted society. It goes against the very things which Dianne
Starin has worked all her life to achieve.
	Eric, there's a certain element of danger in all that we do, from
walking down the street to cooking to breathing the very air. We exercise
caution where it is feasible, but we can't let it dominate our way of life.
We can't live our lives in fear, wrapping ourselves within a cocoon to
insolate ourselves from life's dangers. Though your intentions I know are
good, and your fear for yourself and others is understandable, I urge you to
reconsider sending your letter to the Sacramento Bee.
With deepest sincerity
Angela Fowler