[Nfbc-info] Letter to the Bee: Help get the word out onattacksonthe blind/visually impaired

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 3 23:35:39 UTC 2009

        Let me second that. Great Job Angela.  Having worked closely with
Dianne you have the ability to quite eloquently address issues from her
direct perspective.
Of course it's not just her perspective it is ours.
The thing is some people misinterpret our call for stiff penalties They
argue that well, if you truly want equality why such a call "seems you want
it both ways" and they usually will take the position Eric suggests.
I don't know if some one with legalese might want to address this question
from that prospective.
Brian notes in his update that a special attorney is working the case who is
an expert in protecting "vulnerable populations.
We want to send the message loud and clear that society will not tolerate
abuse and exploitation of anyone with a disability.
This is a very important message whether the aslant is a mugger with a log
hitting Dianne from behind or a greedy relative who is stealing and misusing
someone's SSI because they can.
But if promoted the wrong way this can actually become proof to illiterate
uneducated drug dependent members of our society that blind folks are easy
targets.
The very people you want to get the message we will punish you to the
fullest instead get the idea that the only thing Web did was handle things
stupidly and of course they could do things differently.
Perhaps for example they might obscure the view by choosing the different
time Eric proposed by attacking earlier or later or they might do a better
job of isolating their victim.

Those discussions or thoughts won't bee seen in the press.  The idea that
someone would be even thinking that way is repulsive and would give most of
us the chills.
I remember when I was in my early twenties one of my "friends" was hanging
around some not so nice people.
At a party or somewhere he, or someone he knew heard discussion by a guy
they had tagging along with them from new York.  He was making plans to do
something similar to me on the first of the month so he could "get my check"
Someone gave him a very stern warning and it never happened thank God but my
point is there are some losers who really aren't very nice people.
They think nothing of invading a house, knocking down an elderly lady and
taking her purse, attacking a blind woman from behind, luring a blind lady
with a dog in to a trailer raping her and stealing the dog, or as in what
would've been my case hitting a blind guy in the head with a pipe and
stealing his wallet.
Many times in fact what appear to be random acts of violence aren't some
times the perpetrator actually stocks the victim in advance and chooses what
they perceive as  the best target sometimes from amongst social circles they
run in sometimes family members and sometimes just daily observation.

Unfortunately we have those elements in society.
Eric is right that we each need to be alert and not deliberately put
ourselves in a bad situation if it's unnecessary to do so. But this is true
of everyone in society.
While I like many of you call for the stiffest penalties possible especially
because I am a member of the organized blind and I applaud the district
attorneys handling of the case I fear discussions with some friends who will
just become more protective because in their mind this only highlights that
blind people are more in danger than they are.
If I have a company in a "bad area" I might now be less likely to expose the
blind applicant so I will refuse to hire him or her.I don't want to feel bad
or be responsible if something like this happens.
Reading Eric's letter from a blind man in the Sacramento Bee I may be more
convinced than ever--after all this is what blind people think and it proves
what I all ready believe.

"I used to complain because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no
feet."
So it's an issue we wrestle with.  How do we have it both ways equality and
special protection?
Many of our leaders argue this same position contending even though blind
people as a class have less money than the general population living below
the poverty level we should not have "discounted or removed fares because of
our disability. We can't be equal if we act unequal.
 Taking that logic a step further we can't say how wonderfully independent
we are in one breath while screaming helpless disadvantaged in the next
breath.
That confuses employers and service providers such as the airlines who say
keep that person out of the exit rows or don't worry we will take care of
you.
If blind people are so vulnerable I might argue is it safe to let them have
or take care of children?  What if some one wants to snag the kids the poor
blind person wouldn't even know what to do.
Truthfully, no matter who was sitting at the bus stop if they weren't paying
really close attention or looking behind they would've been just as
vulnerable as Diane was most likely.

So how do we wrestle with these questions as individuals or as a movement?
Remember the three components Maslow's higherarchy security, equality
opportunity!
>From the right to be safe to the right to be free to the right of self
actualization!
I don't intend to attack Eric specifically on this list serve but I want us
to wrestle with the questions and if we can clarify the delimit.
that's why in my first effort I choose to use a more comical approach just
to get wheels turning.
These are most likely very similar to equality questions every civil rights
movement must tackle whether it be women's suffrage with Susan BE. Anthony,
or the various racial movements beginning with liberation of the blacks from
slavery.  Through the ages equality and opportunity have brought much debate
one quick example should women's suffrage include abolition of the use of
alcohol?
Many in the early part of the last century said yes!
Looking at the bigger picture with regards to protection of blind people,
what do you think?
Mike