[Nfbc-info] Letter To The Bee: Joseph Webb

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Sep 4 09:39:34 UTC 2009

Hi Angela, your comments are well, I repeat, well, justified.  In my
research, I've learned that it's not a good idea to be on the Sacramento
streets after 7 P.M., for safety reasons, the most obvious is: (1)
Sacramento Regional Transit's buses stopping well before midnight, and (2)
having a contact person help you when you get stuck.  In hinsight, we are
all aware of the dangers of organized crime.  But to say these tips are
unavoidable is not true.  To cite an example: Three years ago, I was on my
way back from a River Cats' baseball game.  Sac-Transit Access wanted to
pick me up after eleven o'clock.  But the game was over at 9:45.  I got
back onto the Yolo County bus, headed for the Capitol Mall Light Rail.  My
stop was Arden-Del Paso.  After 9 o'clock, there are no buses going toward
the Hilton Arden Sacramento West, so I had no choice, but to have someone
call a cab for me.  Why?  Because I was on the bus stop with a lot of
winows!  And, I wanted my hotel room.  What if the game ended at about 9
o'clock?  Well, I would still call a cab.  I could not the fact that I am
blind stop me from getting away from thuggery.  Better to be safe than
sorry.

I have another question: All of us can afford Sac-Transit's fares.  Then,
why, in the name of the National Federation of the Blind of California,
don't the people ask for 24-hour-a-day transportation?  Because, there is
no money for it.

Lastly, these "thugs" don't care that we're blind.  I know Tina
personally, by the way.  We are not helpless souls!  But don't tell that to
the thugs.  I want justice served, too, but protective, and corrective,
measures come into play here.

In closing, we need to remember that when we see a chance for someone to
take us home, and they're sincere, we should take it.  I run into this
problem in L.A. everyday: people telling us "street smarts."  Do we want to
be shown "street smarts," or do we want to be shown complete control.  I
resent, as much as you do, someone telling me, and giving me, "street
smarts."  But when something that can be prevented happens, what must we
do?  Fight back.  What must we do, if someone "worries" about us, and gives
us the "lecture on street smarts?"  Let them know we can do it.

Thank you for reading this letter.  It's always refreshing to know that I
can disagree politely with my good friends.

Eric

Take a stand!  Be a winner!  Be a team player!

Because: Friends don't let friends be sore losers!

Eric from Los Angeles!