[Nfbc-info] September Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 5 05:14:34 UTC 2009

To:       All Chapter
Presidents
From:   Mary Willows,
President
Date:    September 2009
Bulletin

State Convention
Our state convention will be here before we know it and
there are so many exciting things happening at this year’s convention you don’t
want to miss out!

Pre Register:  Make sure you Pre Register for the convention
before October 7th.  You will
need to make your hotel reservation before Pre Registering.  Call the Hilton Newark/Fremont hotel at 510-490-8390
for room reservations.  If you wish to arrive
on Wednesday October 21st make sure you tell the hotel you are with
the NFBC.  You don’t want to miss out on
the savings.  Pre Register Now because after
October 7th prices go up by $15.  You can Pre Register by going to www.nfbcal.org.  There is a link right on the home page.

Here are some of the highlights:
Thursday Morning–
Whozit walks the Bridge for Braille
Come take part as we walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.  If you want to participate in this exciting
event please register so we have a head count for the bus.  The bus will leave the hotel at 11:00 am and
return around 3:00 pm.  You can register
for the walk by going to www.nfbcal.org and clicking on the Walker Registration
button on the main page.  You can also
get to the Walker Registration by going to www.nfbcal.org, then Events, and
then clicking on the Walker Registration Button.  We hope to have the largest group of blind
people in the most unusual place with most influential people promoting
Braille.

Thursday Evening – Board Meeting & CSB Jazz Ensomble
On Thursday evening we will hold the NFBC Board of Directors
meeting at 6:00 pm.  At 7:00 pm we will
hear from the California School for the Blind Jazz
Ensomble.  Come hear what all is
happening in the State and then listen to some great music!

Friday –
Exhibits, Divisions & Bunko
On Friday we will have an exciting exhibit hall filled with
great vendors.  Come check out all the
cool stuff!  On Friday you can also find
out what is happening around the state by attending the various Division
meetings.  Friday evening come take part
in our first annual Bunko tournament!  This fun dice game is for everyone!

Saturday –
General Session, DAN Luncheon & Banquet
Saturday is the kick off of the convention with General
Session in the morning and afternoon.  You won’t want to miss all the great speakers.  At lunchtime come have a great lunch with the
Diabetes Action Network folks.  At this
year's meeting we will have a very lively and interesting speaker from
Washington Hospital
Diabetes team.  She is a puppy raiser for a guide dog school and is very
excited to be among working guide dogs at our luncheon.  You do not
have to have Diabetes to enjoy yourself or gain a new perspective about
nutrition.

Saturday Evening – Banquet
This year our Master of Ceremony is Ever Lee Hairston and
our National Representative is Dr. Maurer.  You don’t want to miss this year’s Banquet!

Door Prizes
We want your door prizes!  Remember to bring door prizes to convention.  Please mark your items in Braille and Large
Print.

Resolutions
All Resolution should be submitted to Mary Willows before
October 7th.

Matching Grants
Matching grants are available to chapters in the amount of
$150.  Chapter Presidents who are
interested in more information please email Mary Willows.

Stipends for
Convention
If you are a Member at Large and need assistance to attend
State Convention please email or call       Mary Willows.

Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar
Have you purchased your Louis Braille Coin?  If not then now is the time to take part in this limited offer.  Don't miss your opportunity to make change
with a dollar. Purchase your Louis
Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar now! To purchase your coin
go to www.usmint.gov.  Don’t be left
behind order your coin today!
39481 Gallaudet Drive Apt. 127
Fremont, CA 94538