[Nfbc-info] Fw: Tower District rejects roundabouts

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 27 13:51:32 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:50 AM
Subject: Tower District rejects roundabouts

I was interviewed for this article.
Chuck

- Local

Tower District rejects traffic roundabouts
Published online on Saturday, Sep. 26, 2009

By Eddie Jimenez / The Fresno Bee

Traffic circles won't be part of Fresno's street-improvement plan for the Tower District.

Opposition and concerns about pedestrian safety led to the removal from the conceptual plan of traffic circles that had been suggested on Olive Avenue at
Wishon and Van Ness avenues.

A Tower District marketing official and a consultant told about 70 people at a community meeting on the plan Saturday that a proposal for traffic circles
at those intersections was dead, bringing cheers from some in attendance.

"If there's that much concern about them, then this is not something we want to jump into," said Bill Kuebler, director of the Tower District Marketing
Committee. Kuebler is among those who are working together to develop the plan with city officials and a consultant.

One of those people pleased with the decision was Chuck Krugman, a frequent visitor to the Tower District and former resident of the area.

Krugman, who is blind, said traffic circles make crossing the street difficult for him.

"When I'm crossing a street, I rely on what the traffic is doing to get a sense of direction," he said.

He believes traffic circles are not user friendly for all pedestrians.

"I personally tend to avoid areas where there are traffic circles or roundabouts," Krugman said.

Tower District resident Floridia Cheung Jones agreed that traffic circles do not benefit pedestrians, in part because California drivers are unfamiliar
with them.

"It seems people don't know how to drive around them," she said.

Traffic circles surfaced during two community meetings in July on the district's landscape improvement plan. The thought was that they could serve as gateways
into the district and slow traffic, Kuebler said.

While the conceptual plan is still a work in progress, a pilot project on district improvements has begun. The project area is along Olive from Maroa Avenue
to Wishon.

The city has allocated about $225,000 for the project, said Kyle Loreto, chief of staff for Fresno City Council Member Blong Xiong.

Specifics of the project still are being determined, but they likely will include benches, art, bike racks, improved lighting and sidewalk expansions that
would improve pedestrian safety, slow traffic and create areas for other street amenities, Kuebler said.
www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1653094.html -