[Nfbc-info] April Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 19:06:51 UTC 2010

Mary Willows, President

39481 Gallaudet Drive Apt. 127

Fremont, CA 94538

(510) 248-0100

mwillows at sbcglobal.net

April 2, 2010

Around the State

The Pathfinders Chapter cordially invites you to a Fiesta and Outdoor Flea
Market Fundraiser. A day of fun, food and shopping.
There will be booths set up with all types of merchandise such as:
Men and women clothing, Jewelry, shoes, purses, etc.
There will also be  karaoke and lots more.
It will be held on May 1, 2010
Place: Rochelle Houston's backyard, 10526 Haas Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90047
Time: 11am to 4pm.
If you would like to rent a booth or for tickets, contact Rochelle Houston
at: (323) 754-9689 or Barbara Harrison at: landofdolls at hotmail.com
Donation is $10.00
Booth rental is also $10.00
Rochelle Houston President

Grants and Scholarships

Radcliff Grant

In memory of one of our distinguished leaders, Mrs. Frances Radcliff, the
NFB of California is committed to spreading the message that with education
or training, blind people can compete on the basis of equality with their
sighted peers. For this reason, each year, we issue grants to first time
attendees to our annual national convention.  This year the convention will
be held in Dallas, Texas on July 3-8. If you are interested in applying,
please go to the website at www. nfbcal.org and click onto “Radcliff Grant
Application.” Applications must be received no later than Friday, May 14th.
Applicants will be notified on Sunday, May 16th.

Just a few weeks left to apply!

Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic® (RFB&D®) is
now accepting applications for the 2010
Scholastic Achievement Awards! College seniors or
graduate students who are blind or visually
impaired are eligible for the award.
Each year, three top winners receive $6,000 and
an all-expense paid trip to Washington, DC! The
deadline of April 1st is fast-approaching!  Click
the below link to learn more!

<http://www.rfbd.org/About-RFB-D/National-Achievement-Awards/108/>http://www.rfbd.org/About-RFB-D/National-Achievement-Awards/108/

“The Braille Monitor” has a new Editor

Congratulations to Dan Frye. As of March, Dan has taken over as editor of
our monthly magazine.

The March 2010 Braille Monitor is now available online.

http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm10/bm1003/bm1003tc.htm

Sound Off

We are starting a new statewide campaign. Now is the time to voice your
opinion. We are the blind speaking for ourselves. What do you want to say?
Send comments or ideas for ad campaigns to me. Suggestions will be discussed
and decided at the next meeting of the Board of Directors and Chapter
Presidents which will be held on April 10 and 11.

Changes in  DOR Management

Recently we were informed of the resignation of Tony Candela, Deputy
Director of Blind Field Services at the Department of the Rehabilitation. We
wish Tony luck in his new endeavors.

Joe Xavier has graciously agreed to serve as the Acting Deputy Director for
the Specialized Services Division, Blind and Visually Impaired and Deaf &
Hard of Hearing (SSD) for the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR).  This
change will be in effect until the Governor’s office has appointed a Deputy
Director for the SSD.  Joe will assume the full range of duties and
responsibilities for the SSD, in addition to his current position of Deputy
Director for Independent Living and External Affairs Division.

For more than 25 years, Joe has participated in business and public
administration, including advocacy and community organizations.  During his
twelve years with the DOR, Joe has served in various capacities including,
Deputy Director, Independent Living and External Affairs Division, Acting
Program Manager for the Business Enterprises Program, Chief of Business
Services Section, Associate Management Auditor and Supervising Business
Enterprises Consultant.  Joe has also directed and worked on numerous
special projects for the DOR.

Until all of us have made it, none of us have made it.

                                                     Rosemary Brown

Mary Willows, President
mwillows at sbcglobal.net