[Nfbc-info] Blind law school grad allowed to use computer inbarexam

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 31 08:25:58 UTC 2010

I don't know what happened with this article. I am reposting it below.
Chuck

latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-bar-exam-ruling,0,5871149.story
latimes.com
Judge says officials wrong to prohibit blind UCLA grad's use of computer
during state bar exam
By Associated Press
3:36 PM PST, January 29, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge says a blind law school graduate can
use a computer during the multiple-choice portion of the California bar
exam, a test all must pass to practice law in the state.

U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer ruled Friday that University of
California, Los Angeles law school graduate Stephanie Enyart's request to
use software designed for blind test takers was a reasonable request.

The National Conference of Bar Examiners Inc., which administers that
portion of the test for the State Bar of California, had cited security
concerns in its opposition of Enyart's request.

The nonprofit argued it made several significant accommodations - such as
extra time and allowing a live reader - so that Enyart could take the
paper-and-pencil exam.

The exam starts Feb. 23.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.