[Nfbc-info] Convention reports

Hoby Wedler hobywedler at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:18:28 UTC 2010

Mary,

That indeed was a great convention!

Here are my thoughts on the individual meetings I attended:
1. National Association of Blind Students:

Run by Arielle Silverman, this was an excellent, information-packed meeting.
I feel that out of all the individual sessions I attended, this was the most
informative. This could be due largely to the fact that I am a student and
the information discussed at the meeting effected me directly. The meeting
was long but adequate in length and again, extrordinarily informative!
Topics included ECS testing, bookshare, RFB&D, Blackboard, and several
others.

2. Science and Engineering Division: Run by President John Miller, this was
another informative session packed with useful info to both students of
science and engeneering and to professionals in these fields. Though I only
was able to hear the last half of this, it was still completely worth it!

3. Bookshare.org Party:
At this open-floor session, individuals from bookshare.org spoke at length
about their website and its benefits. What I enjoyed and appreciated most
about this meeting is that the presenters were very willing and excited to
accept constructive criticism. They loved the good things people said but
they loved people mentioning the items that needed to be fixed even more.
One potential problem was that it seemed like at least a large percentage of
the crowd was there for their food selection and not just to talk about
bookshare. All in all, this session was very informative and rewarding
because we were able to talk to the people at the top of the company and
give them our advice as active users.

Other special sessions I attended include the resolutions committee meeting,
the mock trial, and a few others. I was unable to stay at any of these for
very long so I don't want to comment on them.

Again, great convention! California is in great hands with you as president!

-- Hoby