[Nfbc-info] Convention reports

Serena Olsen olsen.serena at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:55:50 UTC 2010

Came home Friday night and got up early Saturday morning to go
kayaking, camping, and hiking for the weekend--and yes, I went to work
on Monday.  Needless to say, I am just now recovering...

The Youth Track, introduced just in the last few years, has been
growing and getting better each year.  On Saturday, along with Judo
athlete Greg DeWall, vendor and all around fun guy Joe Shaw, and
Natalie Shaheen and Mica from the National Center, facillitated a
fitness track, first for high school students, then for middle school
students.  Joe guided them through squats and up-downs, Greg taught
them strengthening & conditioning exercises, Mica ran a jumproping
session, and I led them through a yoga practice.

If the nation's population, and especially its youth, are tragically
unhealthy and out of shape, you can bet that our blind youth are
faring no better.  Some of them were more experienced than others and
made great role models.  Most rewarding was watching those who clearly
do not get enough physical activity nearly experiencing for the first
time the space their bodies live in and the importance of movement and
a healthy lifestyle.

The Youth track also covered other vital rites of passage too
frequently overlooked like preparation for high school & college, the
importance of good grooming and appearance, and appropriate dating &
social behavior.

--
Serena Olsen, MAIPS
http://www.linkedin.com/in/serenaolsen