[Nfbc-info] Exciting Opportunity for Future Teachers

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 21:42:50 UTC 2010

This sounds excellent. I encourage any future teachers to read on!

National Federation of the Blind
2010 Teacher of Tomorrow Program

If you are preparing for a career in teaching blind students, then
this message is for you!

The National Federation of the Blind has developed the Teacher of
Tomorrow Program for students preparing to be teachers of the blind.
This program is of no cost, and it will provide students with the
following:

·        Teacher Mentors

·        Blindness Mentors

·        Blindness Skills Tutors

·        Information about Scholarships

·        Diverse Teaching Opportunities

·        Professional Development activities at the NFB national convention

·        Advocacy training in Washington D.C.

·        Interactive Workshops at the headquarters of the NFB in
Baltimore, Maryland.

Wondering why we developed the Teacher of Tomorrow Program? Well, the
answer is easy. to be effective educators, teachers of blind kids need
sustained and in-depth exposure to blind people from all walks of
life. Although current teacher training programs provide these
opportunities for their students, they are often limited by a number
of factors including location, funding, and access. The NFB has an
active nationwide network of countless resources that can be used to
provide future teachers an enhanced learning experience, and we are
happy to work with teacher preparation programs to facilitate these
experiences for their students.

If you would like to be considered for this program, please complete
the brief application that is attached to this message. We will
schedule a phone interview with all applicants, and will select our
final cohort by Tuesday, June 15, 2010. If you have any questions, you
can contact me at (410) 659-9314, ext. 2283, or via email at
rcarranza at nfb.org. You can also visit www.teachblinddstudents.org for
additional information about the Teacher of Tomorrow Program.

Cordially,

Rosy Carranza

Manager of Program Services

Department of Affiliate Action