[Nfbc-info] meat the blind month

Jennifer Boylan jaboylan at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 19 21:35:38 UTC 2010

Ken,

I think you make an awesome point--we must be out mingling in public to make "meeting the blind" a reality.  Congrats on making the opportunity for yourself to get up and speak!

My local Lions Club had their Oct. 6 meeting focusing on Sight Conservation and I wanted to remind listers that joining service clubs like the Lions is a great way to get out in the community, raise awareness and show exactly what we can do.

My beep baseball team, the Stockton Stingrays, has been a great platform to reaching out and meeting the sighted on their own turf.  I would like to encourage everyone to consider participating in this or other sports/local gyms and to be out just walking around in the community.  We are always seeking players, volunteers and supporters--check out our web page @ www.communitycenterfortheblind.org/baseball_team.php and feel free to contact me at any time.  The Stingrays are holding a Pasta Dinner & Awards Night Nov. 5, 5-8PM @ Community Center for the Blind in Stockton.  Tickets are $10; we'd really love to have you there with us.  Call (209) 466-3836 for tickets & info.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to state convention this year but you're definitely the blind I'd love to meet.

Jennifer Boylan
San Joaquin Lions