[Nfbc-info] 2011 Youth Slam applications still being accepted!

Serena Olsen olsen.serena at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 03:24:01 UTC 2011

Greetings all,

I am contacting you because you are blind, work with blind people, or
know someone who is blind.  I'm passing on information about the 2011
Youth Slam (a STEM Science Academy).  Please share with any or all who
you think might be interested, and thanks!

Youth Slam is a biennial program in its third year that gives blind
high school students a week-long college immersion experience focused
on exciting STEM (Sience Technology Engineering & Math) subjects like
Forensics, Kineseology, Computer Science, Robotics, journalism,
Rocketry, Architecture, Environmental Science, and a taste of driving
via the Blind Driver Challenge.

Students will spend a school week in the dorms at Towson University
from July 17-23, 2011, under the guidance of competent blind mentors,
dining in the dining hall, navigating campus to get to classes,
engaging in challenging and learningful academic activities, and
getting a taste of independent college life, including fun evening
activities.

I, myself, will be serving as a mentor--this will be my third year,
and I can tell you from first-hand experience that it is an
action-packed and powerful experience for everyone.

Here is a link to an 18 minute video compiled from the 2009 Youth Slam
to watch and/or share with any interested parties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_YgedWCs7k (It should be the first
result in a You Tube search for "2009 NFB Youth Slam")

Spaces are filling, but applications are still being accepted through
March 1st.  More info about Youth Slam and the application process can
be found at www.blindscience.org.  Also, as a soon-to-be third-time
mentor, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might
have, so please feel free to contact me or forward my contact info to
anyone with further questions.

--
Serena Olsen, MAIPS
NFBC Youth Programs Coordinator

Please support my run in the Team LightHouse Half-Marathon--your
contribution will empower blind youth with the skills and confidence
they need to succeed!!  THANKS!
http://active.com/donate/teamlighthouse/SerenaOlsen