[Nfbc-info] FW: Video Description Survey 2011 - Text-to-Speech Preferences

Angela Fowler fowlers at syix.com
Wed Feb 16 20:01:56 UTC 2011

In case you're interested...

  _____

From: SpeechSynth at mail4.wgbh.org [mailto:SpeechSynth at mail4.wgbh.org] On
Behalf Of Mary Watkins
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:10 AM
To: SpeechSynth at mail4.wgbh.org
Subject: Video Description Survey 2011 - Text-to-Speech Preferences

Hello friends of DVS.  Please see the invitation below to participate in an
online survey.  Feel free to forward this posting as you see fit to friends,
colleagues and other lists.  Thank you.

February 16, 2011

Video Description Survey 2011 - Text-to-Speech Preferences

IBM Research-Japan and WGBH's Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family National Center
for Accessible Media (NCAM) are conducting a joint study on the
applicability of speech synthesis for video description.  This is the second
survey we are conducting as part of this study to solicit reactions to the
use of synthesized speech to deliver descriptions of informational Web
content. This study will ask you to evaluate different options for
text-to-speech (TTS) description placement, content, length and speed.

Though we are conducting this study, WGBH does not intend to substitute
synthesized speech for human voices on the programs and movies we currently
describe. Rather, we are focusing on the potential of using TTS technologies
to increase the overall amount of described Web-based media.

The survey, accessible via screen-reading software, should take 45-60
minutes. We are eager to hear your opinions, and are grateful for your time
and assistance.  The survey is posted at this site:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/461112/3i40b

Best,

Mary

--
Mary Watkins
Director of Communications
mary_watkins at wgbh.org
access.wgbh.org

Follow the Media Access Group on Facebook and Twitter (@AccessWGBH)

WGBH Boston informs, inspires, and entertains millions through public
broadcasting, the Web, educational multimedia, and access services for
people with disabilities.