[Nfbc-info] A speech from the past worth reading again

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 5 03:33:21 UTC 2011

Hello:
Last weekend, we held a Chemistry Camp for blind high school students.
During introductions, Bill Gerrey, (one of our oldtimers) told the students
about an address which he heard being delivered by Dr. tenBroek in 1956 in
San Francisco.  I have sent the speech in its entirety to the students and I
thought you might like to read it again also.

Bill Gerrey is an Engineer at the Smith Kettewell Eye Institute in San
Francisco.  Bill attended Chemistry Camp as a mentor.  Bill told the
students about the NFB and how it changed his life every opportunity he got.
He told them that Kenneth Jernigan changed what the  white cane symbolizes.
Not a symbol of dependence but that of independence.  I am going to follow
up with the students and send them all our best speeches.  Tell me your
favorites.
Mary Willows, President
mwillows at sbcglobal.net