[Nfbc-info] Accessible Point-of-Sale Machines at Fresh & Easy

Tim Elder tim at timeldermusic.com
Mon Apr 23 20:44:31 UTC 2012

Hi Californians,

NFB is looking closely at the accessibility of point-of-sale terminals in
retail establishments.  Most of us would like to have independent access to
point-of-sale terminals in every store so that we don't have to ask a store
employee to enter our personal information or take control of our credit or
debit cards when making purchases.  There is a strong argument that the law
requires such independent access to point-of-sale terminals.  However, no
courts have currently addressed this issue and most if not all retail stores
require that a blind shopper rely on a store employee to use its
point-of-sale machines.

The NFB is specifically interested in hearing about experiences with the
Fresh & Easy chain.  Our legal team wants to interview members who have
attempted to use the self-checkout terminals at Fresh & Easy and were
required to wait for an employee before conducting a transaction.

Interested individuals should contact Timothy Elder of the TRE Legal
Practice at (410) 415-3493 or telder[at]trelegal[dot]com.

Regards,

Tim Elder