[Nfbc-info] Post-Protest comments.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:44:20 UTC 2012

Hello Fellow
 Californians,
  On the Heels of the educational protest of Amazon in Seattle, there
was plenty  of  reaction to go around.  I ran into some on the seattle
times web page, and some of it bothered me more than others. I ran
across some comments in particular I wanted to share  with  you. I
would appreciate any thoughts you folks may have.
  If you are going to be on the at-large chapter call, I look forward
to  your thoughts there.
 Best,
  Darian

“My question is when the teacher pushes a book to a electronic device,
who pays for that book? Are they saying textbooks that schools used to
buy, are now
free online? Don't think so. Secondly, not every student can afford an
ipad, kindle, notebooks, etc. Even if the notebooks are provided, who
is going to
supervise their use & from getting lost, etc? If something looks too
good to be true, it usually is - I'm thinking it's not a charitable
act, it's a marketing
strategy.

So, from my viewpoint, none of the students should be relying on
electronic devices for their education - can use good old fashioned
books (remember checking
books out of the library?), in which case the visually impaired would
continue on as they have been and there would be no issue about it.no
student or
students' parents should be PAYING for their K-12 education. as one
commenter posted that the blind students should pay for a plug-in or
device to hook
up to Kindle.

So, for me, the question is not will the blind be underserved or
disadvantaged, it's why kids are being forced to have an electronic
device in order to
be taught?

And why is the Times reporting on this. It encourages the crazies to
protest idiotic things. Look mom! If you look real close, you can see
the back of my
head in the photo!

Oh wait. Almost forgot the Times has a vendetta against Amazon, the
successful company that employs thousands and brings in hundreds of
millions in tax
Revenue”

“ How stupid is this protest??? Is there anything these days that
isn't protested?”

“Unbelievably stupid. Since when is it a private company's
responsibility to make their products accessible to the blind and
deaf. Sounds more like a school
district's responsibility.

Some people are so unhinged and out of touch, it's funny”

“Why don't these people take the fight to the school districts that
are thinking of buying the Kindle??? It's not Amazon's responsibility
to adhere to the
ADA it's the educators, they will be the ones getting sued. If Apple
has a better product in this regard, which has speech to text or
whatever the blind
need then buy them over the Kindle.”

“Why is any of this Amazon's fault?

Why is this story front-page "news"?"
“The onus is on the school district:

Section 504, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Education Reform

3. Reasonable Accommodations

In meeting the responsibilities to students with disabilities under
Section 504 and Title II of the ADA, school systems must make
accommodations and modifications
to address the needs of students with disabilities. 5 Making
accommodations and modifications means changing the way things are
usually done in order to
take into account a child's disability-related needs.

Examples of accommodations and modifications include modifying rules,
policies or practices; removing architectural or communication
barriers; or providing
aids, services, or assistive technology.”

"Perish forbid that there be a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD in education."

Stop whining. There are other options out there that do what you want.”

“Excuse my not understanding this situation as a problem.
They are complaining that the Amazon Kindle does not have features
that other e-readers have?
Well then why don't they buy the e-readers that have these features
rather than whine at Amazon?

Either there is something that I do not understand here or these
people are just complaining at Amazon to get the publicity that Amazon
generates when
mentioned in the news.”

--
Darian Smith

Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund
via your phone bill.

The time is now to eliminate Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

“We know not of our future, but we know of our past. A past that is
made up of our ancestor’s Dreams, their stories and hopes.
These sights once seen, sounds heard and emotions felt are now our
knowledge. The knowledge that guides us to this very moment…”