[Nfbc-info] news from the sfv chapter

Racquel Decipeda racquelmd29 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 21:13:07 UTC 2012

Happy New Year to all! In behalf of the San Fernando Valley Chapter board,
we want to congratulate and thank our members for a very fruitful and
successful 2012. Thank you very much to all your participation and
involvement this 2012 in all our workshops, fundraising projects and events
and activities. We hope to see all of you again next year, 2013 with more
enthusiasm and energy to continue the mission that we all have started.

We want to share with you brief recounts of our last two successful events.
Congratulate yourselves and be proud of yourselves. You had been part of all
the success we had. Thank you!

To the rest of the NFBC family, happy New Year to you all from the SFV
Chapter!

On November 17th, the NFBC San Fernando Valley Chapter and the Center for
the Partially Sighted held the 4th annual Best in Tech Conference in Culver
City CA. This informative day long event Featured workshops  by both
Freedom Scientific about their latest screen magnification with speech
software called Magic 12 and the SFV Chapter's own Julian Vargas about the
latest developments in iPhone and Android Smartphone accessibility.

After the workshops we   had the main program called "My favorite technology
for 2012: This consisted of several presentations given by a panel of 9
speakers who talked about an assistive technology solution that they used
this year that helped to increase their productivity and independence or in
some way shape or form enhanced their lives. These presentations are helpful
and unique because they are given by average actual everyday users of the
technology they discussed who have no vested interest in getting anyone to
buy a product. Throughout the presentation several high tech door prizes
were given away including Magic 12 software and keyboard from Freedom
Scientific and a $3000 CCTV system by Enhanced Vision.

Nearly 200 people attended the Best in Tech 2012 and they weren't just blind
and low-vision users. There were doctors, educators, voc-rehab counselors
and other professionals who use what they learn to better serve their
students and clients. For many this is a rare opportunity to have all of
this information and chance to get hands on experience with such a variety
of A.T. solutions all in the same place. Thanks to Freedom Scientific, our
Gold Sponsor, and 7 other vendors, we're able to provide this fun and
informative event for free   to all who wish to attend. Many attendees
stopped by our Chapter table to learn more about the nFB and help contribute
to what turned out to be one of our most successful fundraisers by
purchasing a ticket for an iPhone 5 or iPad raffle we held at the end of the
day. The proceeds will go towards our continued efforts to help our local
community by putting on such events and continuing to grow our ever
expanding chapter. Anyone who wishes to learn more about the Best in Tech
2012 or listen to audio of the event can visit our website:
www.bestintech.info <http://www.bestintech.info/>

=+=+=+

The San Fernando Valley Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
California held its annual holiday party on December 8, 2012. We spent a
joyous afternoon in the company of over 34 of our NFB family and friends as
we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the famous Barones Italian Restaurant in Van
Nuys CA. It wasn't just the good food, wonderful company and Christmas cheer
that made this year's celebration special. Since the Holidays are all about
celebrating long standing traditions, we decided to start a new one that we
hope will catch on with many other chapters and become a nationwide NFB
tradition.

This year we decided to reach out to our local community and adopt a blind
child and her family. We partnered with the Therapeutic Living Centers for
the Blind and had chosen one of their clients, Hizela Martinez and her
family: six-year-old Hizela, three-year-old Daniela, six-month-old Jacob and
their mother.  After we ate, we were treated to the singing of Christmas
songs by Hizela and her little sister. We also played some fun party games.
All the while, there was building anticipation because rumor had it that
there might be a surprise visit from Santa Claus and this had the children
all excited. All of a sudden, Hizela and her little siblings squealed and
jumped up and down with delight  when jolly ole Santa made his entrance
loaded with a huge sack of gifts generously donated by our chapter members
and proceeded to hand them out to everyone in the family. Their mother was
overcome with emotion and her eyes filled with tears at the sight of the
true spirit of Christmas materializing right before her eyes. It was quite
touching and rewarding to see that our new tradition did indeed make that
family's Christmas a little brighter. We hope to continue to build a good
relationship with Hizela and her family and that they will celebrate many
more holidays with us.

Racquel Decipeda

Alternate Email: racquelmd29 at gmail.com or nfbevents at gmail.com

Alternate Phone: 818-457-1482