[Nfbc-info] Blind Diamond Bar band student to march in Rose Parade

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Mon Dec 31 21:13:31 UTC 2012

Here's a copy of the article with the extra characters removed.

Thanks Chela for sending this along!

Jim

Blind Diamond Bar band student to march in Rose Parade
By Richard Irwin, Staff Writer

Marching Band member Miso Kwak will be striding down Pasadena Avenue in
the world famous Tournament of Roses Parade on January
1, 2013. The 18 year-old senior was born blind and hasn't let it slow her
down for a minute. (Photo courtesy of Diamond Bar High School)

DIAMOND BAR - The Brahmas marching band will have two musicians in the
Tournament of Roses Parade Tuesday. Mi So Kwak will play the flute for the Bands
of America Honor Band, while Diamond Bar High School instructor Casey
Bindle marches alongside her.

Kwak appreciates Bindle lending a guiding hand. It's tough enough for
anyone to march the entire 5.5-mile parade route. Especially for Kwak, who
is blind.

"Mi So is an amazing kid. She's incredibly independent, confident and very
talented. She has worked her way up through the band and is now a leader in
the program," said Diamond Bar High School band and orchestra director
Steve Acciani.

It was Acciani who encouraged the 18-year-old senior to apply for a spot
in the Bands of America Honor Band after Kwak learned about it via
Twitter.

"I really wanted to perform in the New Year's Day parade, so I filled out
the paperwork. But I got stuck when the audition recordings had to be submitted
through software that wasn't compatible with the programs I use," she said.

With the director's help, Kwak got a waiver to submit her audition via a
CD. It wasn't the first time she has had to fight to be included.

The Korean native grew up in Seoul, where she attended the National School
for the Blind. She began to play the flute in the fourth grade.

When her family moved to New York for her father's business, Kwak entered
the seventh grade at the Rome Free Academy.

I wasn't comfortable with my English, so I dove into my music. Band was
the only class where I didn't have to use English to excel," she said.

However, students at the academy who play wind or percussion instruments
are required to join the marching band.

"The band director wasn't sure about putting a blind person in the
marching band, so he told me not to worry about it," she said.

"But marching in the band was something I'd wanted to do since middle
school, so I thought that was unfair and told him I wanted to
participate," the young
woman said.

With the help of her friends, Kwak began performing in field shows. At
first, they used a bungee cord to guide her.

"When I transferred to Diamond Bar High in my freshman year, I asked Mr.
Acciani if I could march with the band and he was cool with it," she said.

The Brahmas decided to assign a student to guide her as she marched in the
band. The student walked alongside her, applying light pressure to her
left
shoulder to guide her along the parade route.

"I couldn't do it without the help of my guides. I trust them completely
to guide me safely," Kwak said.

Along the way, the brave teen has garnered the admiration of staff and
students alike.

"She's been doing all our marching band performances for all four years
and doing a fantastic job. And she learns hours of music by memorizing in
just
a few days," Acciani noted.

Now, Kwak is learning four new songs for her march down Colorado
Boulevard. She began rehearsals with 300 other musicians in the honor band
from across
the country on Thursday.

Recently, the Diamond Bar High band marched in the Arcadia Christmas
Parade.

"I watched our band march in Arcadia and everyone became teary eyed when
Mi So marched by," said Principal Catherine Real. "It left everyone along the
parade route with an admiration for this fearless and talented young lady."

richard.irwin at sgvn.com

626-544-0847