[Nfbc-info] Calling all alumni of the California School for the Blind-

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 2 05:50:44 UTC 2012

Hello All:
If you, or anyone you know has benefited from the many programs at the
California School for the Blind, WE NEED YOU.  I am seeking personal
testimony for budget hearings which will determine the future of CSB.  If
you benefited from in-services in Assistive Technology, attended the Summer
Transition Employment Program, Extended School Year or any of the Short
Courses, please contact me by replying to this message.  I would like to
speak to those people who value those unique services available in the state
of California.

School districts in California have been hit hard with the budget cuts.
However, how many school districts do you know that have assistive
technology experts and equipment available everyday of the school year?  How
many districts house braille books and textbook materials which are
available by simply going to the school library and picking out a book off
the shelf?
How many school districts have a staff of Orientation and Mobility
instructors who can help you learn how to use public transportation in your
town?  Fix your cane if it breaks?  Create a tactile map of your
neighborhood so you can use talking GPS?
How many school districts provide braille instruction everyday, for years?
None.  The education of blind students would be reduced to the level of
babysitting if we don't do something to protect the programs and services at
CSB.

Please help us find alumni.  They can dictate testimony or appear in person
if willing.

This is a major CALL TO ACTION.

Yours truely,

Mary Willows, President