[Nfbc-info] NFBC in the news

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 8 15:53:13 UTC 2012

California group protests state senate's ADA bill

Tags: ADA Compliance, Regulatory Issues
 June 5, 2012

Just last week, the California Senate unanimously passed SB 1186, which would ban attorneys from sending "demand for money" letters to businesses for alleged ADA violations. Today, the National Federation of the Blind of California called the bill "discriminatory."

The bill would require attorneys to send a "notice letter" on behalf of a plaintiff, allowing the business owners 30 days to address an accessibility problem before a lawsuit could be filed. But in a press announcement, the NFBC objected that the bill would unfairly require people with disabilities to comply with additional notification requirements and waiting periods that were not expected of other groups before filing a lawsuit.

"That this bill would impose additional requirements on Californians with disabilities seeking to vindicate our civil rights adds insult to injury," said Mary Willows, president of the National Federation of the Blind of California.

"No other protected class of individuals will be subject to these requirements," she said. "[O]nly Californians with disabilities will have to jump through additional legal hoops to enforce our civil rights. SB 1186 is therefore itself discriminatory. We call upon the Assembly to reject this bill; and if it passes, we urge Governor Brown to veto it."

For more on this topic, visit the ADA compliance research center.

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/article/195451/California-group-protests-state-senate-s-ADA-bill