[Nfbc-info] National Association of Guide Dog Users response to Canine Companions for Independence Petition to ban the online sale of service animal gear

Shannon Dillon shannonldillon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 21:57:56 UTC 2013

National Association of Guide Dog Users did a really good job of
responding to CCI's petition to ban the online sale of service dog
gear. Please see NAGDU's response below.

A petition is being circulated by Canine Companions for Independence
(CCI) and seems to be supported by other service animal training
programs to ban the online sale of service animal gear. The following
response is the official position of the National Association of Guide
dog Users (NAGDU) concerning this effort.

I am writing on behalf of the membership of the National Association
of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU), a division of the National Federation of
the Blind. We are aware of the effort to ban the sale of service
animal gear and identification over the internet and disagree with the
assertion that such sale proliferates the use of what the advocates of
such a measure refer to as “fake service animals”. We are writing in
opposition to this petition. The text of this petition can be found by
visiting

http://www.cci.org/stopfraud

As the representative voice of guide dog users for the largest
organization of the blind in the United States, it is our opinion that
the fundamental premises of this effort are flawed and restricting of
the sale of such products is not in the best interest of those of us
who use service animals. While we agree there is a widespread problem
with those who falsely assert their pets are service animals which
needs to be addressed, we do not agree that the action requested is
the equitable resolution. This correspondence will outline what we
believe are the inaccuracies of this effort and offer suggestions to
better address the issue
We believe the references to “fake service dog gear” and “a loophole
in the Americans with Disabilities act” are fallacies of circular
cause and consequence. It is not the gear nor any loophole that
presents the problem; rather, the problem we face are those
individuals who deceitfully assert they are disabled and their dog is
a service dog in order to secure the access afforded to individuals
with disabilities accompanied by service animals. More accurately, the
problem is that many individuals mistakenly believe that the rights of
an individual with a disability accompanied by a service dog are
absolute and entities are defenseless to restrict such access, even
when the dog is poorly behaved. We believe this misconception is held
by both disabled individuals who use service animals, as well as those
perpetrating the deceit.
NAGDU supports the current implementing regulations of the Americans
with Disabilities Act contained in 28 CFR part 35 & 28 CFR Part 36. We
believe the regulations are very clear and would oppose any revision
to those regulations that would be more restrictive. In particular, we
support the regulations that do not require documentation as a
precondition for access. NAGDU has a number of members who have owner
trained their guide dog and, therefore, do not have access to the sort
of documentation issued by formal training programs. In our opinion,
it is the practice of such training programs that promulgate the
problem, rather than resolve it. These training programs, when issuing
their documentation that the animal they have trained is “certified”,
advise their consumers that the presentation of such documentation
helps to resolve the access issues they may face. Although this may be
true for that person, it further serves to complicate such access for
someone who refuses to present such documentation, as well as those
who have owner trained their service dog, Both of which are congruent
with the current regulations. When one person presents documentation
to an entity, it leads the entity to believe that all service dog
users will have such identification and be willing to present it.
Though it may be true that some official-looking identification card
with the consumer’s picture and that of their service dog sometimes
helps the individual, it is equally true that anyone with a computer
can create a similar official-looking identification card to
facilitate access with an untrained pet. Perhaps the Department might
consider following the illogical conclusion of the online petition and
ban training programs from issuing documentation.
Another illustration of misinformation being promulgated in support of
this measure states, “Legitimate service dogs require years of expert
training to perform specific commands like picking up dropped items
and opening doors that benefit people with disabilities”. Though such
an assertion may make for good public relations and fund raising
campaigns, it is patently false! Though it is true that service dog
training programs have their own internal processes for certifying
their trainers, what is untrue is that it takes such experts to train
a service dog. As already mentioned, there are a number of people who
have trained their own guide dogs who would not consider themselves
“experts” and these dogs are just as well trained as any you would
find from a formal training program. Neither does it take years to
train a service dog. In fact, a review of the websites of programs
involved in the training of guide dogs – widely agreed upon to be the
most high level service dog work in the field – asserts that it takes
about 3 – 6 months to train a guide dog. If we take into consideration
that one guide dog trainer has a string of several dogs they are
training, the actual time it may take could be much shorter. It seems
that the intent of the Department was to allow for owner trained
service animals, based upon its implementing regulations defining the
term “service animal”.
Another problematic issue with the request to restrict the sale of
service animal gear over the internet is the danger of making such
gear proprietary to the training programs. Most training programs
retain ownership of the gear they issue during training. As such,
these training programs reserve the right to repossess the gear at any
time and for any reason. This practice lends itself to a great deal of
abuse by training programs through custodial and paternalistic
interference in the lives of their consumers. There have been a number
of instances in which a training program has repossessed gear without
cause, leaving the disabled person temporarily without the benefit of
their service animal. In these cases, the ability to purchase their
gear from a third party doing business on the internet allowed them to
continue to use their service dog, in spite of the unjust interference
of a paternalistic training program. Likewise, many of us who have
received our service dogs from formal training programs often opt to
purchase alternative gear, such as lightweight washable nylon
harnesses, gear of different colors, and designs that are better
suited to the individual. Some of us even have several harnesses we
have purchased in different colors to match our wardrobe.
The National Association of Guide Dog Users believes that. instead of
banning the sale of service animal gear on the internet, a far more
effective approach would be to better educate entities about what
constitutes a service animal and their rights and responsibilities
under the law as it pertains to an individual’s access with their
service animals. We believe many entities may be hesitant to deny
access to a person claiming protection under the ADA when the dog is
ill behaved for fear of reprisal from the individual and accusations
of discrimination. We further believe the real threat to our access is
not the proliferation of service animal gear and unnecessary
documentation; rather, it is the poor behavior of these dogs in public
– service animal or not. It would also serve society well to better
educate those who use service animals of their responsibility to
maintain control over their animal’s behavior and that their right to
be accompanied by a service animal is not absolute. We believe that
supporting entities when they assert their rights, demanding that
individuals who use service dogs act responsibly, and educating the
public about what constitutes a direct threat and unacceptable
behavior would better protect the rights of all concerned.”
The National Association of Guide Dog Users will continue to utilize
our resources to disseminate accurate information about the rights and
responsibilities of service animal users and those of public entities.
If you have any questions, need additional information, or would like
to solicit further input on this or other issues from a large consumer
base, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

With kind regards,
Marion Gwizdala, President
(813) 626-2789 (Office)
(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)