[Nfbc-info] SB1109 hearing next Tuesday and other information

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Fri Apr 18 04:58:47 UTC 2014

Greetings everyone,

As you know, for several years we have been fighting to secure fair wages
for all blind people by eliminating provisions in the law that allow
sheltered workshops and other organizations to pay blind workers and other
workers with disabilities less than the minimum wage.  On the national level
we have been making considerable progress on this.  Now, we have an
opportunity here in California to affect change on the local and state
level.

At present, the law permits organizations that enter into contracts with the
state of California to pay workers with disabilities less than the minimum
wage.  Sheltered workshops and some agencies have been very happy with this
current arrangement and, of course, would not like to see a change.
However, earlier this year Senator Ben Hueso of the 40th California
senatorial district introduced SB 1109 which if passed will change the law
and eliminate wage discrimination for all persons with disabilities.  This
is an exciting opportunity for us to affect real change in California
concerning the concept of minimum wage.

Briefly, SB 1109 calls for a change in the law which would mandate that any
agency or organization wishing to do business with the state of California
must pay all employees the minimum wage prescribed by law.  I am not going
to include the text of the law here as there is still a possibility there
may be some small amendments before Tuesday.  This bill makes it clear that
under the revised law no organization or agency can enter into any kind of
contract with the state of California if it pays any of its workers a sub
minimum wage.

SB 1109 is being heard next Tuesday morning at 9:30 AM by the Government
organization Committee at the state capital in room 4203.  I'm writing to
ask you to do two things concerning this bill in order to help its passage.
First, if there is any way that you can do so we need you to come to
Sacramento to be at the hearing to show support for the bill.  If you would
be willing to testify this would be a plus.  You do not need to arrange or
even prepare any kind of advanced testimony.  Your testimony could be a
simple as "my name is... And I am here to tell you that I think it is wrong
that any organization contracting with the state of California can pay me or
any person with a disability a subminimum wage while every person without a
disability gets a guaranteed minimum wage ".  Of course, this is just one
example of what you might say.  What we need are large numbers of people to
attend the hearing.  The NFB of California does have some funding to help
with expenses for people who can come to Sacramento.  I realize that it will
be difficult for many people from the South to be able to come, but if any
of you can make the hearing it would be great.  We do need lots of folks
from the north, of course.  If you are interested in attending the hearing
please email me expressing your interest.  Please include contact
information such as name, phone number, and email address.  I will pass your
information to President Willows.  Again, please express your interest by
sending me an email.  By the way, we understand that the opposition will be
bringing many people including individuals with developmental disabilities
who will say that passage of this bill would eliminate jobs for disabled
persons throughout the state.  The opposition will be working hard to bring
lots of people to the hearing.

Second, we need everyone to send letters of support for SB 1109 to Senator
Correa (Chair, Government organization Committee).  Send emails to the
senator through his committee consultant, Paul Donahue at
Paul.Donahue at sen.ca.gov.  Here is sample wording for you to use.

" As a person with a disability, I support SB 1109 because I feel that
paying people with disabilities subminimum wages is immoral, discriminatory
and unfair. I know that if state contracts are only awarded to entities that
pay all workers at least the minimum wage, then businesses that utilize
14(c) certificates will likely change their business models so that they can
obtain state contracts. Just as President Obama's recent Executive Order
will ensure that people with disabilities employed under federal government
contracts that provide services and concessions will be paid $10.10 an hour,
it is encouraging that state contracts in California will also ensure people
with disabilities the pay equality we deserve.

 The biggest obstacle facing people with disabilities is that we are often
held to lower expectations than our non-disabled peers. Legally allowing
entities to pay us subminimum wages just reinforces this fallible belief.
Passage of this bill will be a great step forward in ensuring that people
with disabilities are paid fair wages.

> Thank you for your consideration of SB 1109.  I hope you will fight for
equality for people with disabilities by helping to pass this important
legislation..

 Sincerely,"

it would also be helpful to email Senator Hueso expressing your support for
his bill.  Here is some sample wording for a letter to Senator Hueso.

The Honorable Ben Hueso

State Capitol, Room 2054

Sacramento, CA 95814

 Dear Senator Hueso:

 Thank you for introducing S.B. 1109 State contracts: integrated employment:
persons with disabilities.

 As a person with a disability, I support this bill because I feel that
[...]

 Thank you for fighting for equality for people with disabilities.

 Sincerely,

if you have any questions or want to talk about any issues concerning the
legislation and what I've asked you to do please feel free to email me at
mike at michaelhingson.com or phone me at (415) 827-4084.  Thanks very much for
helping us to work with Senator Hueso to pass this legislation.  I hope
everyone can make it to Sacramento.  Wouldn't that be a great site?  I look
forward to hearing from many of you as you make plans to come help with this
effort.  I know that you did not have a lot of notice, but neither did any
of us.  Thanks again.

Best,

Michael Hingson