[Nfbc-info] Do you like volunteering?

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 02:57:06 UTC 2014

Greetings:My name is Darian Smith.  I am a member of the national Federation of the Blind in our California Affiliate.
 I enjoy  traveling,  music, sports and  volunteering.
 I am an alumni of AmeriCorps, which I found to be one of the most  impactful, educational and fulfilling experiences of my life.
 through my experience I was fortunate to have met many interesting, passionate and driven individuals from many different walks of life from  all over the country.
 I gained experiences using tools, learning about cultures and expanding my understanding of the world around me.
 I also faced my share of both overt and covert  forms of discrimination, as  some of my colleagues  attempted to limit my involvement by placing me away from the  jobs they deemed to be  too difficult or dangerous based upon their limited experience with blindness and the low expectations  that they possessed of the blind and visually impaired.
  Upon my completion of the program I longed to create a space in the Federation Where Blind People of all walks of life  could come together, not just to talk about the ways they would love to serve. their community, but to plan and carry out those passions to  serve.
       With this in mind, I came to   Organize a community service   Division within the National Federation of the Blind. I  found the task of organizing this division to be very fun and rewarding, and believed that the NFB with it’s empowering  attitudes. successful role models, and unshakable belief in what limitless potential  that blind and visually impaired people possessed  was where I wanted to be to make this dream a reality.  I  recently came to realize   that the same effort and organization  needed to be  created in California and that I  would love   nothing more than to bring the blind/ legally blind  of  the golden state together in changing how our communities think of us by organizing a state-wide organization based upon the  national model.  Our communities need to see us as fully  participating  members of society, willing to give as well as take, love as well as be loved,  and lead as well as follow. If this  resonates with you, then  I want to know you and to work with you.
 You are welcome, no matter what visual acuity you have, where you live in our great state,  weather or not you are a member of the NFB, or your level of involvement in volunteer service.
 If this interests you, please feel free to contact me at dsmithnfb at gmail.com
    Sincerely ,
  Darian Smith