[Nfbc-info] SMART Phones for Blind Consumers

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 10 23:18:15 UTC 2014

Hello All,

Recently, I learned that the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
is gathering information about accessible cell phone equipment.  At the
present time, the only cell phone which is approved for free distribution to
blind Californians is the Jitterbug.  I have written a letter to the members
of the CPUC and the Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program, which was
well received.  The gentlemen who represents the blind on the advisory
committee is asking for as many additional letters be sent to Ryan Dulin,
Director, Communications Division, CPUC.  I am attaching my letter which was
sent to all of the members of the CPUC and the Deaf and Disabled
Telecommunications Program.  Please familiarize yourself with the issues by
going to the websites http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/  and
http://ddtp.cpuc.ca.gov/homepage.aspx so that you can write a letter similar
to mine.  If and when you do send letters, please let me know so that I am
aware of how many letters went out.

I would like to thank Karen Nimmer and Tim Elder for bringing this issue to
my attention.  That's what we do in the National Federation of the Blind.
We are the blind speaking for ourselves.

Please donate to Braille Enrichment for Learning & Literacy (BELL) by
sending your tax deductible donation to:

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

Thank you!

Mary Willows, President NFBC