[Nfbc-info] NFB Camp Convention Adventures

Frida Aizenman nfbfrida at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:00:06 UTC 2014

*_Braille Monitor     April 2014_*

*NFB Camp Convention Adventures*

by Carla McQuillan

If you are between the ages of six weeks and twelve years, NFB Camp is
the place to be at national convention this year in Orlando. During
meetings and general convention sessions, NFB Camp will be open for fun.

Our camp rooms are divided by age, with toys and activities appropriate
to the ages served in each room. We have rooms for infants and toddlers,
preschoolers, and school-age children. The infants and toddlers spend
much of their time in the room, with occasional walks around the hotel
and stories read from Braille books. The preschool group will enjoy
Braille story time, arts and craft projects, and small group play on the
hotel lawns. The school-age children will have special guest
presentations on writing stories, science and technology, music and
movement, and blind people employed in different professions. In
addition, we will have daily excursions to the hotel lawns for outdoor
games and water play.

*Field Trips to Monkey Joe's*

Just down the street from the hotel is an indoor fun house called Monkey
Joe's. This air-conditioned party room has several giant inflatable
structures with slides, obstacle courses, bounce houses, and ball pits.
In addition there are several carnival and arcade games. We will be
taking small groups of children to Monkey Joe's several times throughout
the week. The cost will be $10 per child, which includes transportation
on the local shuttle that runs up and down International Drive and
admission to all the attractions at Monkey Joe's.

Children must be between the ages of five and twelve, and priority will
be given to children enrolled in NFB Camp for the week. Look for sign-up
sheets at the NFB Camp Registration Desk when you get to the convention.

*Banquet Night*

NFB Campers will enjoy their own banquet night activities beginning with
their meal.

*NFB Workers*

NFB Camp is under the supervision of Carla McQuillan, president of the
NFB of Oregon, and a longtime member of the Federation. Carla is the
executive director of Main Street Montessori Association, operating
three Montessori schools. She has directed NFB camp since 1996. Alison
McQuillan serves as the activities and staff coordinator for camp.
Alison monitors the daily programs, drop-off and pick-up, staff-to-child
ratios, and ensuring that only parents and authorized adults are allowed
into camp rooms. Each of the three camp rooms has a supervisor who is
responsible for the activities of that age group. These leads are chosen
because of their experience and demonstrated capacity to handle groups
of children and workers. Other workers and camp volunteers are drawn
from within the organization. We usually have a mix of blind and sighted
teens and adults who work with the children.

*Blindness Professional on Staff*

Michelle Chacon is a certified orientation and mobility instructor and a
teacher of blind children. She will be available throughout the week to
consult with parents and staff, as well as provide some individualized
instruction for our campers.

*Babysitting List*

NFB Camp maintains a list of people who are interested in providing care
outside of the scheduled hours for camp. The list is at the check-in
desk for NFB Camp. Parents are welcome to review names on the list if
they are in need of caregivers during off hours*. *NFB Camp and the
National Federation of the Blind are not responsible for the actions and
behavior of those on the babysitting list. We do not screen the people;
we merely maintain a central list for the convenience of convention
attendees.

*Preregistration *

Because of the limited space, we require that parents wishing to enroll
their children in NFB Camp complete and return the registration form
below no later than June 15, 2014. You may also email or call to reserve
your child(ren)'s space: <admin at mainstreetmontessori.org
<mailto:admin at mainstreetmontessori.org>> or (541) 653-9153. Any
questions can also be directed to Carla McQuillan at the same address,
email, and phone.

*Registration Packet/:/*

NBF Camp Registration Form
<http://mainstreetmontessori.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/NFB-CAMP-REGISTRATION-FORM-2014.pdf>
Camp Rules
<http://mainstreetmontessori.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/camprules.pdf>
Photo Release
<http://mainstreetmontessori.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/photorelease.pdf>
Medical Release
<http://mainstreetmontessori.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medicalrelease.pdf>
Waiver of Responsibilities
<http://mainstreetmontessori.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/waiverresponsibilities.pdf>

Make checks payable to NFB Camp. Return form to NFB Camp, 5005 Main
Street, Springfield, OR 97478; (541) 726-6924

*NFB CAMP SCHEDULE*

NFB Camp will be open during general convention sessions, division and
committee meeting day, and the evening of the banquet. The hours for NFB
Camp are tentative. The actual hours will be based on the beginning and
ending of sessions so that parents can drop off their children thirty
minutes before the start of session and must pick up their children
within thirty minutes of the end of session. On occasion the actual end
or beginning of session may be earlier or later than the agenda
indicates. We charge a $10 per quarter-hour per child late pick-up fee.
NFB Camp provides morning and afternoon snacks. You must provide lunch
for your children every day.

*Date NFB Camp Hours*

Tuesday, July 1st 8:30 AM--12:30 PM and 1:30 PM-5:30 PM
Wednesday, July 2nd Camp is closed.
Thursday, July 3rd 8:30 AM--12:30 PM and 1:30 PM--5:30 PM
Friday, July 4th 9:30 AM--12:30 PM and 1:30 PM--5:30 PM
Saturday, July 5th 8:30 AM--12:30 PM and 1:30 PM--5:30 PM
Sunday, July 6th 8:30 AM--12:30 PM and 1:30 PM--5:30 PM
Banquet 6:30 PM--30 minutes after adjournment.

Additional forms (emergency info, waivers, etc.) will be due when we
receive the registration form.

*NFB CAMP REGISTRATION FORM *

Completed form and fees must be received on or before June 15, 2014

Parent's Name________________________________________________
Address_____________________________________________________
City__________ State___________ Zip______ Phone _______________
Cell Phone _______________ Cell Phone _______________
Child(ren)'s Name(s)
______________________________ Age_____ Date of Birth___________
______________________________ Age_____ Date of Birth___________
______________________________ Age_____ Date of Birth___________
Include description of any disabilities or allergies we should know about:
Who, other than parents, is allowed to pick up your child(ren)?__________

*Per Week */(Does not include banquet)/*: $100 first child, $75 siblings*
         $100 (1st child) _plus_ # of siblings_____ x $75 =  $________

*Per Day */(Does not include banquet)/*: $25 per child per day.
  (Circle) T  Th  F  Sa  Su *
$25 x ___#child(ren) = $_____ x ___ Days =  $_________

*Banquet*: *$25 per child. *
_____#Turkey sandwich  _____#Cheese sandwich
       # of children _____ x $25 = $_________

We understand that NFB Camp is being provided as a service to make our
convention more enjoyable for both parents and children. We will pick up
children immediately following sessions. We understand that, if our
child(ren) does not follow the rules or if for any reason staff are
unable to care for our child(ren), further access to childcare will be
denied.

Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:
NFB Camp Convention Adventures

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your
e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.