[Nfbc-info] May Bulletin

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 5 23:45:49 UTC 2014

From: Mary Willows [mailto:mwillows at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 4:39 PM
To: Mary Willows
Subject: May Bulletin

whosit_small1Mary Willows, President

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

(925) 895-2778

mwillows at sbcglobal.net

May 1, 2014

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back."

It is Call to Action Week

This week is Twitter Tuesday.  On Tuesday, May 6 we ask that all of you who
have Twitter accounts, please tweet the following message to your
representative:

Help prevent people with disabilities being paid less than the minimum wage.
Support #fairwages by cosponsoring HR831 @ SpeakerBoehner.

Call Wednesday

The following are the representatives who still need to be encouraged to
co-sponsor HR831.  Please call your representative with our message:

State/District

Representative

Twitter Handle

Phone Number

Legislative Aide

Email

CA01

Doug LaMalfa

@DougLaMalfa

202-225-3076

John Pezzullo

 <mailto:John.Pezzullo at mail.house.gov> John.Pezzullo at mail.house.gov

CA02

Jared Huffman

@JaredHuffman

202-225-5161

Nicholas Hromalik

 <mailto:nicholas.hromalik at mail.house.gov> nicholas.hromalik at mail.house.gov

CA03

John Garamendi

@RepGaramendi

202-225-1880

Emily Burns

 <mailto:Emily.Burns at mail.house.gov> Emily.Burns at mail.house.gov

CA04

Tom McClintock

@RepMcClintock

202-225-2511

Chris Tudor

 <mailto:Chris.Tudor at mail.house.gov> Chris.Tudor at mail.house.gov

CA05

Mike Thompson

@RepThompson

202-225-3311

Jesse Haladay

 <mailto:Jesse.Haladay at mail.house.gov> Jesse.Haladay at mail.house.gov

CA06

Doris Matsui

@DorisMatsui

202- 225-7163

Louis Agnello

 <mailto:Louis.agnello at mail.house.gov> Louis.agnello at mail.house.gov

CA07

Ami Bera

@RepBera

202-225-5716

Chad Obermiller

 <mailto:chad.Obermiller at mail.house.gov> chad.Obermiller at mail.house.gov

CA08

Paul Cook

@RepPaulCook

202-225-5861

Tim Itnyre

 <mailto:tim.itnyre at mail.house.gov> tim.itnyre at mail.house.gov

CA10

Jeffrey Denham

@RepJeffDenham

202-225-4540

Chris DelBeccaro

 <mailto:Chris.DelBeccaro at mail.house.gov> Chris.DelBeccaro at mail.house.gov

CA12

Nancy Pelosi

@NancyPelosi

(202) 225-0100

Pearl Mangrum

 <mailto:pearl.mangrum at mail.house.gov> pearl.mangrum at mail.house.gov

CA16

Jim Costa

@RepJimCosta

202-225-3341

Jessica Kahanek

 <mailto:Jessica.kahanek at mail.house.gov> Jessica.kahanek at mail.house.gov

CA17

Michael Honda

@RepMikeHonda

(202) 225-2631

Joon Suh

 <mailto:joon.suh at mail.house.gov> joon.suh at mail.house.gov

CA18

Anna Eshoo

@RepAnnaEshoo

(202) 225-8104

J. David Grossman

 <mailto:david.grossman at mail.house.gov> david.grossman at mail.house.gov

CA19

Zoe Lofgren

@RepZoeLofgren

(202) 225-3072

Melody Reis

 <mailto:melody.reis at mail.house.gov> melody.reis at mail.house.gov

CA20

Sam Farr

@RepSamFarr

(202) 225-2861

Rochelle S. Dornatt

 <mailto:rochelle.dornatt at mail.house.gov> rochelle.dornatt at mail.house.gov

CA21

David Valadao

@dgvaladao

202-225-4695

Chasity Pender

 <mailto:chasity.pender at mail.house.gov> chasity.pender at mail.house.gov

CA22

Devin Nunes

@devinnunes

202-225-2523

Caitlin Shannon

 <mailto:Caitlin.Shannon at mail.house.gov> Caitlin.Shannon at mail.house.gov

CA23

Kevin McCarthy

@GOPWhip

202-225-2915

Brandon Eden

 <mailto:Brandon.eden at mail.house.gov> Brandon.eden at mail.house.gov

CA24

Lois Capps

@RepLoisCapps

(202) 225-3601

Aaron Shapiro

 <mailto:aaron.shapiro at mail.house.gov> aaron.shapiro at mail.house.gov

CA25

Howard McKeon

@BuckMcKeon

202-225-1956

Chris Perry

 <mailto:chris.perry at mail.house.gov> chris.perry at mail.house.gov

CA26

Julia Brownley

@JuliaBrownley

(202) 225-5811

Sharon Wagener

 <mailto:sharon.wagener at mail.house.gov> sharon.wagener at mail.house.gov

CA27

Judy Chu

@RepJudyChu

(202) 225-5464

Allison Rose

 <mailto:allison.rose at mail.house.gov> allison.rose at mail.house.gov

CA28

Adam Schiff

@RepAdamSchiff

202-225-4176

Yvonne Hsu

 <mailto:Yvonne.Hsu at mail.house.gov> Yvonne.Hsu at mail.house.gov

CA29

Tony Cardenas

@RepCardenas

202-225-6131

Jacqueline Eufrausino

 <mailto:Jacqueline.Eufrausino at mail.house.gov>
Jacqueline.Eufrausino at mail.house.gov

CA30

Brad Sherman

@BradSherman

202-225-5911

Lauren Wolman

 <mailto:Lauren.Wolman at mail.house.gov> Lauren.Wolman at mail.house.gov

CA31

Gary Miller

@repgarymiller

202-225-3201

Ashli Eastwood

 <mailto:Ashli.Eastwood at mail.house.gov> Ashli.Eastwood at mail.house.gov

CA33

Henry Waxman

@WaxmanClimate

(202) 225-3976

Travis Moore

 <mailto:travis.moore at mail.house.gov> travis.moore at mail.house.gov

CA34

Xavier Becerra

@repbecerra

202-225-6235

Sean Mccluskie

 <mailto:Sean.McCluskie at mail.house.gov> Sean.McCluskie at mail.house.gov

CA35

Gloria Negrete McLeod

@RepMcLeod

(202) 225-6161

Teresa Acuna

 <mailto:teresa.acuna at mail.house.gov> teresa.acuna at mail.house.gov

CA38

Linda Sanchez

@RepLindaSanchez

(202) 225-6676

Melissa Kiedrowicz

 <mailto:melissa.kiedrowicz at mail.house.gov>
melissa.kiedrowicz at mail.house.gov

CA39

Ed Royce

@RepEdRoyce

202-225-4111

Sean Mcreynolds

 <mailto:Sean.Mcreynolds at mail.house.gov> Sean.Mcreynolds at mail.house.gov

CA43

Maxine Waters

@MaxineWaters

(202) 225-2201

Mikael Moore

 <mailto:mikael.moore at mail.house.gov> mikael.moore at mail.house.gov

CA44

Janice Hahn

@Rep_JaniceHahn

(202) 225-8220

Henry Connelly

 <mailto:henry.connelly at mail.house.gov> henry.connelly at mail.house.gov

CA45

John Campbell

@RepJohnCampbell

202-225-5611

Max Ukropina

 <mailto:Scott.Hinkle at mail.house.gov> max.ukropina at mail.house.gov

CA46

Loretta Sanchez

@lorettasanchez

(202) 225-2965

Jessica Fernandez

 <mailto:jessica.fernandez at mail.house.gov> jessica.fernandez at mail.house.gov

CA47

Alan Lowenthal

@alanlowenthal

202-225-7924

Frances Marquez

 <mailto:Frances.Marquez at mail.house.gov> Frances.Marquez at mail.house.gov

CA48

Dana Rohrabacher

@DanaRohrabacher

202-225-2415

Kevin Holsclaw

 <mailto:Kevin.Holsclaw at mail.house.gov> Kevin.Holsclaw at mail.house.gov

CA49

Darrell Issa

@DarrellIssa

202-225-3906

Robert Rische

 <mailto:Robert.Rische at mail.house.gov> Robert.Rische at mail.house.gov

CA50

Duncan Hunter

@Rep_Hunter

202-225-5672

Carly Debeikes

 <mailto:carly.debeikes at mail.house.gov> carly.debeikes at mail.house.gov

CA51

Juan Vargas

@RepJuanVargas

202-225-8045

Scott Hinkle

 <mailto:Scott.Hinkle at mail.house.gov> Scott.Hinkle at mail.house.gov

CA52

Scott Peters

@RepScottPeters

202-225-0508

Morgan Jones

 <mailto:morgan.jones at mail.house.gov> morgan.jones at mail.house.gov

Email Thursday.  Please use the table above to email your representative
with our message to support HR83.

National Federation of the Blind of California Enlightens Sacramento

Davis Canes and Tails Chapter President and NFBC Board Member, Rick Watson,
Karen Steele, Dennis Russak, Shannon Dillon, Linda Ferguson, and Angela
Fowler spent several days last month visiting offices of key legislators
about critical issues concerning the blind in California. Among the topics
discussed was support for California blind vendors; expanding in-home
support services to include readers; fair wages for disabled workers
(SB1109) and (AJR36); and preserving funding for instructional materials for
blind children in California.  Rick will continue to travel to Sacramento
throughout the month of May to update and continue to educate our lawmakers
in Sacramento.

Spotlighting Seniors

On May 8, 2014 and June 4, 2014 the National Federation of the Blind Senior
Division is holding conference calls to those interested in issues
concerning our seniors who are experiencing vision loss.  The calls are to
spotlight topics of vital interest to those losing vision later in life.
The calls will be at noon Pacific Standard Time.

Call in number:  712-432-1500

Access code:  759-633#

Grants to the National Convention

If you or someone you know has never attended a National Convention now is
the time to apply for a $500 grant to attend one of the most exhilarating
assemblies of like-minded people.  You need to act soon in order to submit
your application by May 20, 2014.  Please send an email message to
mwillows at sbcglobal.net and I will reply with the application form.

River City Chapter 2nd Annual Hair in the Wind Fundraising Event

Come join the River City Chapter, the Society for the Blind, the Sacramento
Lions Club, and the Sacramento Area Miata Car Club for a day of fun!

Take a spin in a hot little sports car!  Join us for this fun community
event.  Come on out to enjoy a free 30-minute ride in a convertible! it's
fun, and once you've done it, you just can't get enough! Then enjoy some
great food and fellowship with new and old friends.  Tri-tip or chicken
sandwiches, chips and beverages will be available for purchase.  Come out
and support the River City Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
of California.

Where: Society for the Blind

    1238 S Street

             Sacramento, CA 95811

When:  May 17, 2014

Time:   10:00 am-2:00pm or until all registered guests ride!

Reserve Your Ride Today!

To register for your ride please RSVP to Ralph Gingrich by April 30th.

Phone:  916-721-4499 or 916-223-2513

Email:  rkitman at surewest.net

I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday May 17th for a fun filled day!
-  Tiffany Manosh, President, River City Chapter

whosit_small1
<https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.badgerboogie.co.uk/resource
s/dancers-silhouette-215-250.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.badgerboogie.co.uk/&do
cid=79TDpKaPMiW52M&tbnid=CeCKnVuJ5GE9lM&w=215&h=250&ei=GoPuUrvYI4LcoAS1w4KQB
g&ved=0CAUQxiAwAw&iact=c>
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5Oesj2dq30FHGwtk0EpEf
U6_Ib1OEzHw5AgKTDT5Ib-CdpM7doNfKEg Dance with Me for NFB!

The National Federation of the Blind

Riverside/San Bernardino Chapter Fund Raiser

When: Sunday June 8, 2014 (Adults only)

Where: Elks Riverside Lodge #643 6166 Brockton Ave., Riverside, CA 92506

Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Donation: $12.00 per ticket if purchased before event and $15.00 at the door
day of the event.

Contact Person: Pamela Chase

Cell 951-532-6525      Email  <mailto:pschase at ca.rr.com> pschase at ca.rr.com

About the Event: The afternoon promises to be fun! Swing dance to THE JIMMY
DRAPER BAND.  Drawings throughout the afternoon. Gifts included surprise
baskets, Assistive Technology, Vendor OVAC Inc. 50/50, and a $25.00 Best Buy
gift card and much more. Don't miss out! Come and have some fun!!!

DIRECTIONS: Please complete form below.  Make donations payable to the -NFB
Riverside/San Bernardino Chapter. Please give form and donation to a Chapter
Member or you can mail the form and donation to:

NFB Riverside San Bernardino Chapter

ATT. Pamela Chase

1865 Taylor Ave.

Corona, CA 92882

PLEASE PRINT

Full Name: ___________________________________

Address: ______________________________________

Phone: _______________________________________

Email Address:_________________________________

Name of person who told you about the event:

Please donate to Braille Enrichment for Learning & Literacy (BELL) by
sending your tax deductible donation to:

National Federation of the Blind of California (NFBC)

3934 Kern Court

Pleasanton, CA 94588

Thank you,

Mary Willows, President NFBC