[Nfbc-info] Pictures on compass card

Jim Barbour via Nfbc-info nfbc-info at nfbnet.org
Fri May 23 00:15:05 UTC 2014

Hey Lisa,

I very much respect that you and I are dialoging in front of a lot of
federationists, trying to find a path forward that works for all
sides.  Thank you for starting it, and for allowing me stand up with
you.

I'm afraid I don't think using a different colored card will meet SANDAG's
requirements.  Many disabilities, as well as being low income, are not
visible.  In other words, a bus or train operator would be able to
tell that the card is a subsidized card by its color, they wouldn't be
able to tell if you are entitled to carry a subsidized card just by
looking at you.

It seems reasonable to me that you'd have to prove the card is yours
with a photo.

I do think it is ridiculous that they will charge low income riders an
extra $7 to be able to use the bus.  I also think it's ridiculous that
the burden to replace the card is higher for low income riders.  These
problems should definitely be worked out.  I just don't see how a
colored card solves the problem.

What do you think?

Jim