[Nfbc-info] Bay to Breakers Blind Centipede Registration

Tim Elder tim at timeldermusic.com
Mon Apr 6 14:30:58 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The San Francisco chapter of the NFB is organizing a group to participate in
the world-famous Bay to Breakers foot race.  For those who aren't aware, Bay
to Breakers is one of San Francisco's premier events.  Participants dress up
in creative costumes and run/walk a 12 km course through the city.  For fun,
some participants bind themselves together in what is known as a
"centipede," and dress up in a creative theme.  Examples include runners
with chairs strapped to their backs pretending to be a roller coaster,
runners holding cardboard cut-outs painted as a MUNI bus, and other similar
themes.

This year, we will have a blind centipede.  We have built a harness
contraption made of nimble plastic pipes and hoses that will allow a group
of blind people to all move together in perfect synchronicity through the
race course.  It will be a fun and informative example of what blind people
can do when we work together and apply a little bit of ingenuity.

Here's what you need to know to join the centipede.

When: Sunday, May 17 starting at 8:00 AM (we may be assigned a later start
time once the centipede is registered).  We will attend the finish line
festival after the race, but folks can leave any time after they cross the
finish line.

Where: The starting line is at Main St. & Howard St., San Francisco, CA
94105 (a few blocks from The Embarcadero), and the finish line is at the
Ocean Beach Parking Lot, Great Highway [B/W JFK Dr. & Lincoln Way], San
Francisco, CA 94122.

Cost: $54 (discounted from $59 if registering as a centipede) (scholarships
available for those who express need).  Your packet includes the following
benefits:
.Official Under Armour Runners' T
.Finisher Medal
.3-Month MapMyRun MVP Membership
.On-Course access to finish festival

How to Join: Bring $54 to the next chapter meeting on Tuesday, April 14 or
email eldert at uchastings.edu to make payment arrangements.  In addition to
your registration fee, I need the following from you.
birth date:
 shirt size:
 active email address:
phone number:

  The chapter will complete your registration and make arrangements for
picking up race packets.

Practice:  For those who are available, we will do another short practice
walk on Tuesday evening, May 12 at 6:30 PM.

Updates:  We will assemble an email chain to distribute further updates as
we get closer to the race date.  We will be working on shuttle
transportation for the group, a costume theme and other logistics.  Please
bring your registration fee to the next meeting or contact Tim at
410.415.3493 or eldert at uchastings.edu ASAP to sign up.

The following individuals have committed to join the centipede thus far.  I
will be collecting your registration fees and other information on 4/14 at
the next chapter meeting.  Please bring your money to the chapter meeting or
leave it with someone who can bring it to the meeting.  If your name is not
on the below list, please let me know ASAP.

Tim Elder
Christina Daniels
Michael Nunez
Bryan Bashin
Kate Williams
Sara Hadsell

We need at least 13 people in the centipede to get the discount.  Please
pass this fun idea along to your blind colleagues.  It should be a good
time.  We will accommodate all walking speeds, canes and guide dogs.