[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: (CORRECTED) Opportunity To Review Proposed Federal Regulations That Will Affect Individuals With Disabilities

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Tue Apr 7 08:08:01 UTC 2015

From: Xavier, Joe at DOR [mailto:Joe.Xavier at dor.ca.gov]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 7:08 PM
To: Xavier, Joe at DOR
Subject: (CORRECTED) Opportunity To Review Proposed Federal Regulations That
Will Affect Individuals With Disabilities

The U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Labor have made
proposed regulations intended to be officially published on April 16, 2015
available for review now. The proposed regulations are under the
Rehabilitation Act, as amended by the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity
Act (WIOA).

The Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) began its review of the draft
regulations when they became available yesterday afternoon. We urge everyone
interested in advancing the employment, independence and equality of
individuals with a disability to join DOR in reading the stated reasons and
proposed regulations, and identifying any regulation that may make it more
difficult to assist individuals with disabilities in obtaining employment.
Find the advance copy of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM),
containing the draft regulations on the Federal Register

The draft regulations affecting individuals receiving services from DOR are
available in PDF format in the following three documents below:

*
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2015-05535.p
df> Miscellaneous Program Changes

*
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2015-05528.p
df> Unified and Combined State Plans, Performance Accountability, and the
One-Stop System Joint Provisions

*
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2015-05538.p
df> State Supported Employment Services program; Limitations on Use of
Subminimum Wage

If you are interested in reviewing other regulations related to the four
titles of WIOA, you may visit
<https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection>
https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection.

We must assist our federal agencies in developing regulations that provide
the flexibility we need in providing services, and in using our limited
state and federal funds to meet the unique needs of our consumers. Once the
regulations are officially published on April 16, 2015, we will all have 60
days to submit our comments to the federal departments for consideration
before the federal agencies finalize the regulations.

Together, through our public comments, we can help shape the law and avoid
unintended consequences of fewer individuals going to work because of an
overly restrictive new regulation, or because an existing regulation that
creates a barrier to employment isn't modified.

Collaboration is at the heart of all we do, including the implementation of
WIOA. We are currently considering ways of sharing our preliminary review
with you next month, including the possibility of a public forum or of
posting a written summary of our review on our website. Please email us at
<mailto:wioa at dor.ca.gov> wioa at dor.ca.gov to alert DOR of any provisions we
should pay particular attention to, or for any questions about our approach
to developing comments on the regulations.

On to 20 at 20x20,

Joe Xavier