[Nfbc-info] Braille Rally

Chad Allen chad at chadallenmagic.com
Tue Jul 28 17:35:11 UTC 2015

Hi Rob,

	I was a student at the Colorado Center for the Blind in 2001. I was student body President during that time for one term. As President, it’s our responsibility to develop a confidence building activity for the group.

	I was the first to develop a blind driving activity then. There is an organization in Colorado called Master Drive. The event was a great success. Newspapers, local news channels, and even a national paper showed up to check us out. We had about a three hours session in the classroom talking about the science of driving and then we all went out into the field to drive. It was a “sleep shade” activity and all the students were behind the wheel. We needed to maneuver through cones via audible commands and then we performed a skid recovery activity where the car hydroplaned on a wet surface. The drivers needed to point the car back in the direction the car was going after the skid. Everybody did it!

	 It was great! The CCB still has that program and it was certainly a crowd pleaser.

Best wishes,

Chad