[Nfbc-info] FYI FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] NFB-NEWSLINE Adds Two Bi-monthly NLS Publications

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Jun 8 14:53:29 UTC 2015

Best,

Michael Hingson

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Scott White via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 6:51 AM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] NFB-NEWSLINE Adds Two Bi-monthly NLS
Publications

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

NFB-NEWSLINE Adds Talking Book Topics and Braille Book Review

Baltimore, Maryland (June 8, 2015): The National Federation of the Blind is
pleased to announce the addition of two new bimonthly publications to the
NFB-NEWSLINE service: Talking Book Topics and Braille Book Review. These are
published by the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped of the Library of Congress (NLS).

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "NFB-NEWSLINE and the National Library Service are invaluable
resources to the blind community. We are pleased with the success in
2010 of integrating NFB-NEWSLINE into the NLS Talking Book Players, and we
are happy to further enhance integration with NLS services by sharing these
two bimonthly publications with our subscribers."

Talking Book Topics lists digital audiobooks and magazines available through
the NLS network of cooperating libraries. Braille Book Review lists Braille
books and magazines available through the library network. Both publications
also carry news of developments in library services. The annotated lists in
each issue of these two bimonthly magazines are limited to titles recently
added to the national collection, which contains thousands of fiction and
nonfiction titles, including bestsellers, classics, biographies, romance
novels, mysteries, and how-to guides.

These two publications are now available on NFB-NEWSLINE. To read these
lists of new titles added to the NLS collection, press 7 from the Main Menu,
then choose "Magazines," then select the "Blindness Specific" category, and
finally choose "Braille Book Review" or "Talking Book Topics."

Each book and its description are listed in these publications as a separate
article. This means that subscribers can easily search and navigate through
the articles to find the books of interest.
Additionally, subscribers can press Pound 9 from the touch-tone telephone
and have the individual book listings sent to an email inbox. From there,
subscribers can forward the email to a cooperating regional library to
request the book.

Scott White, director of NFB-NEWSLINE, said:"We hope the addition of Talking
Book Topics and Braille Book Review will help our readers decide what books
are of interest to them and make it easier to acquire them from their
regional Braille and Talking Book libraries."

NFB-NEWSLINE is a free audible information service available to the blind
and print-disabled that offers over four hundred publications including
newspapers and magazines, plus emergency weather alerts, job listings, and
TV listings. The service is accessible via a touch-tone telephone, email,
internet, portable players, or an iOS Mobile App. For more information or to
register for NFB-NEWSLINE visit http://www.nfbnewsline.org or call
1-866-504-7300.

###

blindness is not what holds you back.