[Nfbc-info] Pathfinder chapter Los Angeles community service event

Rochelle Houston rhouston58 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 02:59:30 UTC 2015

Hello fellow Federationists,

I am filled with hope, love and determination. On Saturday, November 21, 2015 the Pathfinder chapter had a project to feed the community a Thanksgiving dinner at Saint rest missionary Baptist church. It was a vision of mine to see the Pathfinder chapter being of service to the community. Not only giving back to the community, but helping to build confidence in themselves and knowing that there are no limitations on what they can do.

The members wore white shirts and black pants. We were servers, greeters and escorts. The two man team of servers were responsible for two tables. Each team decided which member would carry the tray. So, they went to the kitchen to pick up their plates, headed back to their assigned tables and    served their guest. There were greeters positioned at both doors and they welcomed everyone in.  The escorts took guests to their tables. It felt as if we were in a five-star restaurant. Our member, Arietta Woulds played the keyboard while other members sang songs and line danced. We also spoke about the national Federation of the blind and recited the brand.

You know that a difference is being made in the life of a blind person when a member comes up to you, hugs you and says, thank you. The Pathfinder chapter's confidence level has now been lifted and they can't wait until the next community service project!

Rochelle Houston
Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind of California
President, Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles
rhouston58 at gmail.com
323 807-0300
The national Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.